oil filter leak

mhatkinson

I have a 91 Cherokee that has developed an oil leak near the oil filter. The leak isn't right at the oil filter itself but seems to be leaking from where the filter housing meets the engine block. I'm guessing that the O-rings are worn and that's causing the leak.

I was wondering if it is recomended to fix this myself or if I should bring it in to a mechanic. Would it be difficult to replace the O-rings (and possibly the oil filter housing-adapter part)?

Thanks.[addsig]

think of it as a technical oil change. basically, it's just a matter of draining the oil and pulling the filter off, and replacing the gasket/o-ring. its easy.[addsig]

I would hav enever believed this could happen, but make sure the ring on the top of the old filter didn't come off and stay on the housing. That happened to me last week. If I hadn't decided to clean up the housing while the filter was off I would have put the new one on top of the old one. This would have caused a minor leak at temp.

Sounds crazy, but like I said, it happened to me last week.[addsig]

I have been trying to replace my O-rings forever now. The bolt that holds the housing on is so friggin tight that I can't get it off. Is there something inside the housing that holds the main bolt in(like another bolt)? In other words, do you have to remove the filter first and unscrew something in there before loosening the main bolt that holds the housing to the block? [addsig]

have you tried putting a socket wrench on there and tapping the handle with a hammer. okay, so not like tapping would do anything... try whacking the shit out of it. maybe the sudden jarring will break it loose.[addsig]

That was the initial plan until I learned that the distance between the bolt head and the engine mount next to it is about 1.5", just enough room for a torx socket, but not enough room for the essential ratchet. I just got this done today after a month long search for the tool I needed. What I tried first after learning the ratchet wouldn't fit was I got the torx socket and drilled a hole through the head and put a steel rod through it. I tried loosening the bolt but the 1/2" diam. steel rod just bent. Next plan was to get a two piece torx socket(the ones with the center shaft that can be punched out). The problem was finding a torx socket this size(T60). My brother finally found it on the Snap-On truck today after I searched everyhwere for it. I punched out the center, put a 9/16" wrench on the shaft and tried loosening it. It was too tight. Finally, I got a 4 foot long piece of 1.5" diam steel pipe and put it over the wrench. It took all my strength to finally loosen the bolt with that 4 foot pipe. Once I got it loose the rest was easy. Have you tried doing it yet newbie? If not, go for it. [addsig]

I have just purcahsed a 1990 Cherokee with the 4.0 and love it! The previous owner had an oil leak problem and had the valve cover gasket replaced and the blowby problem fixed. I changed oil on it and it is definitely leaking from somewhere around where the filter housing connects to the block. Not a big deal as adding oil is cheap and easy BUT it leaks onto the exhaust after sitting and at startup stinks and my wife hates it! I have access to a shop with a hoist (that is where I changed the oil) and would like to fix this. Am I on the right track?[addsig]

I developed a small leak around the oil filter housing as well. I changed the O-Rings that go inside the filter housing today, not to bad of a job. You need a T-60 Torx socket to remove the housing and probably a piece of pipe to use for leverage as these things tend to be on tight. my ratchet didn't fit so I used a small breaker bar to remove the bolt, as its very close to the frame. I found it easier to remove from underneath rather than from the top of the xj. the O-rings come in a set of 3 you should replace them all not just the large one that seals it on. I got the whole o-ring set for 3.00 from the dealer, not a bad deal. The whole job took about 20 min longer than changing the oil.
:cool: [addsig]

Yeah the O ring is on my list of "to do things"........lol Getting the 4wd fixed is my top priority, I'm jonesing again with the new 10" of snow outside and I can't leave because i'll never get back up my hill :-( ................Bullet[addsig]

Hello bullet Just saying hello and yeah man ihope you were not involved in that accident on 95 south !? I heard peaple were driving like nuts! Today i seen to suvs spun out on 495 south bound , One lady snapped front wheel off i think a newer rodeo! and the other was gettin pulled out of center meridian! I was like damn slow down!! But other than that iwas under my xj topping off my diff fluids and also added a 1/2 Quart trans fluid. My wife gave me hell cause i just laid in the snow and completed the job !! So i also own a 87 lerado xj I am thinking of selling this jeep. If interested give me a email. I am pretty sure the 87 xj has the dana 44 rear set up all stock needs some luv but what jeep doesnt! It has the comand trac, well enough rambling have a good one! Steve... :-D [addsig]

Hey Steve, No I wasn't near 95 today that was nuts. 100 cars involved in that wreck and another 40 involved on 128. Just one of those days to stay home............Bullet[addsig]

UPdate:
well I put about 100 miles on the new o-rings so far and all looks good not a drop of oil anywhere to be found. Problem solved :-D [addsig]

I just had mine replaced at the dealership about 1000 miles ago. And it is what took care of one of my leaks. Next up on my list is the blowby problem. The reason I took it to the dealership is because it is entirely too cold to be screwing with it right now. And the price wasn't too bad. They did the o ring and changed the oil for $75.00 which is pretty cheap for around here where the dealer hourly rate is like $87.00[addsig]

Back