stalls on left turn...?

RE: Re: RE: question about lifts

OK, bare with me. I bought a 2000 jeep cherokee sport, 4dr, 4wd, 4.0L with 83,000 km's 3 days ago. Today I was driving back from work and swung through a left hand turn and she very queitly and peacefully stalled out. It took about 3 times to start it to get fuel into the system and then all was good. Didn't do it again or before for that matter, I had about an 8th of a tank of fuel at the time. I'm assuming it isn't picking up the fuel but could it be something more than that?

RE: wanted, winch

I have an XJ of the same description and I have run it on fumes without stalling out, no matter how fast I went around the corner. I don't know where to guide you, but find out before you get stranded somewhere! Good luck.

Our '98 XJ did the same thing, just don't make hard left turns when you're low on fuel. It's just the tank and pickup design, nothing to worry about unless you have to make all left turns to get to the gas station.

Re: RE: Chevy versus Moose

Wierd. I never noticed that happening on mine, and I run mine low often. Musy be my mild mannered driving ... yeah right!

same thing on mine, just take easy left turns on low fuel. the worst ones are hard left and uphill....

Man, how fast do you guys go around corners? I think I would have experienced this in 5 years of driving the XJ and running it well into the low fuel light almost every tank...

funny part is that you really dont have to go that fast. its not speed that is the greatest influence, its the sharpness of the turn.

the worst situation is a long, sharp, left turn, uphill. If its a short turn the engine might sputter, but not die completely.

jay79cj7 said:
Man, how fast do you guys go around corners? I think I would have experienced this in 5 years of driving the XJ and running it well into the low fuel light almost every tank...

Same here.

Are you guys experiencing this even before the low fule light comes on???

RE: NW event

It happened to me before the light was on yes. I was waiting for traffic to pass then went to turn in and thp.....no gas. I turned the key a couple times to prime the system and away we went. Granted it was probably JUST before the light turned on

RE: Full Width Dana 44 and Ford 9

Are you guys experiencing this even before the low fule light comes on???

yeah i've had it happen before the light goes on, but definately just barely b4 the light.

Re: RE: sign the petition...

Hi,

siminsez01 said:
the worst situation is a long, sharp, left turn, uphill.

Yes, this makes good sense. A hard left turn up hill would make all the gas slosh to the rear right hand side of the gas tank -- furthest away from the pump pickup area. And we all know that no fuel = no go (err... unless you drive an EV :wink: ) .

This must only be a design flaw on the newer Cherokees, or maybe just the '98 model year? I never had this problem when my Cherokee ran on gas...

-Nick :!:

Ran my 2000 tonight with the low fuel light on. Went all over the place, driving like a maniac to try to get mine to do it and couldn't. I guess it's possible it was corrected in the middle of a model year...

I wonder if anyone with a 2001 has experienced it, if not that may answer why some have not had the problem.

My Cherokee Sport was built for Aug 1999...never did it again just the first time. Not even a blip in the fuel when at a quarter tank...let 'er run a little lower tho'....yer pooched at a quarter and only on those lefties I think. Seems to be intermittent with all of us

Back