I'm just about to give up.

Billy

Thanks to some of the guys here I was able to replace the water pump and radiator. Being new at this, it was help that I definetly needed. However, as I was driving home two nights ago, with the vent on hot air. It slowly changed to cold. And the engine began to overheat. Sweet I said to myself, now I can try and fix something new. :) I replaced the thermostat. But nothing. No change. After I turn it on, about 5 minutes later, it begins to overheat. There is no hot air coming in through the vents when the engines hot and overheating, and the upper radiator hose to the thermostat is cold. Possibly a complete jam in the rad? I'm really in trouble on this one, I'm a starvin student, and to have to bring it to the shop and pay for a tow truck would make me want to find the nearest bridge. Thanks in advance, for any info.

Maybe a heater core? Check and make sure the radiator has coolant, not just the overfill tank. The coolant flows through more than just the radiator and the hoses so check everywhere you possibly can to find a leak. Does it have an electric fan? i think i remember an electric fan being on my firends cherokee, and those fans do go out. could be a few different things! GL

Yeah the lower hose feeds the heater core. if there's no heat and the jeep is overheating, there's a good chance that hose is kinked, collapsed, or blocked.

YES!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
Ok, now I know I'm a rookie but here's my excuse. Since the car first began to overheat about a mile from home I didn't get a good chance to look underneath right off the bat. And since when I got home it was 4:00 in the morning I wasn't able to take a look. So it sat in the garage. When I took a half hazard look underneath I didn't see any leaking and from the top of the vehicle the lower rad hose felt and looked fine, no kink etc. And looked in the rad to see fluid and i thought there was some. But it's slanted forward so I could see some where the cap sits. All the fluid would have leaked out on the drive home that night. So I didn't see any one the floor at home. Ok. Enough with the B.S. Just 20 minutes ago I looked underneath with the light and there it was. The lower Rad hose was completely detached from the water pump! I almost looked around to see if any one was looking at me. :oops: It seems that the clamp broke. I guess the lesson here is to make sure to fully check every potential area that may have caused the problem. But honestly I had so many questions in my head I didn't know what to do. I am so relieved. I was so worried something was jammed inside the engine. Thanks for the help. I am no a full fledged Jeep Lover.

Hey be glad it happened close to home and you found it while in the garage...not 50 miles from home and 20 miles from the nearest ROAD!

Good find!! Hey, you're learnin'....that's what it's all about. AND you came to the right place for advice! happy Jeepin'!!!

RE: Check out my new CarDomain Site!

When I was first learning about general vehicle maintenance and repair I had to do alot of trouble shooting and repair by myself. You run into those "damn that hose was connected a minute ago" senarios plenty of times and eventually you learn what to look for first. Nice job getting your jeep running without the garage.

Back