front brake help!!!!!

NEALSTER

Hello fellow Jeepers!!!

I need help on my front brakes. I replaced the pads on my '97 XJ sport

about a month ago, and now they are vibrating i guess everytime i stop.

It sounds horrible! Any suggestions on stopping the vibration???

Help is appreciated!! thanks----Neal
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
[addsig]

At the auto parts store you can buy a special vibration damping glue to glue the pads. This usually cures the problem. For many aplications there is a sound deadening membrane thats also available to install behind the pads. Roughing up the disc with 100 grit sand paper in a cross or X pattern and roughing up the pads will also help.[addsig]

thanks "mudderchuck"---will check it out--

yeah, i already sanded the the discs and it helped for @ two days.

[addsig]

Don´t forget to grease the rods the calipers ride on, I often do and it causes the pads to wear unevenly.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Take them to AutoZone or Oriely and have them turned, aka resurfaced. This should solve the problem![addsig]

The squeal is usually, somebody forgot to use the little package of glue that comes with the pads (most times). It´s sometimes glazing on the discs (too smooth) during break in. Warped discs will usually cause the shimmy shake. Discs that need turning will usually grab to the bad side. I´ve never turned a disc, that when it was finished, micrometer measured, to be much over minimum specs. Measure the thickness before turning. Have also on occasion seen calipers that where stuck on the rails or rods, squeal on occasion. Some high metalic pads squeal some during break in. Worked in a brake shop for awhile (hydrolics), decided asbestos was dangerous and changed proffesions.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Hey thanks everyone-- all help is greatly appreciated!!!

Yeah, there was no pad glue in the box--guess i should not have half assed it!!

Guess i'm going to have to get the damn things re-turned. oh-well

thanks again---Neal[addsig]

Just an oppinion, but I havn´t turned a disc in thirty years. They used to be often, part of the hub and expensive. If they arn´t seriously scored from rivets or stones caught between the pad and disc, sanding in a cross pattern (against the grain) will knock the high points off of the scratches. Turning just removes alot of metal, that will shorten the life of the discs. I put mine on the brake machine before every winter (we have alot of snow and ice) and scratched discs have never caused a problem with them stopping or pulling. If they are seriously scored, a replacement set just arn´t that expensive anymore. The best stopping discs, are the ones with rust on them, Scratches really don´t mean that much and pads arn´t that expensive.[addsig]

Warped discs are very obvious by the pulsing in the brake pedal when you step on it. Modern disc rotors don't fare very well when machined due to warpage. The wall thickness becomes very uneven, causing them to heat unevenly and warp in the other direction most often. Most shops wont even turn most rotors unless they are simply scored from not changing pads when needed.

Re: 1044873

you typically don't get the antisqueak with the pads unless you buy the high end pads that you get overcharged for. Instead they try to sell you the same size package for a buck at the counter,,, don't forget to buy it, when doing a break job, and almost every chain store sells them so you can go grab a pack now. Don't forget to make sure the spring clips are in place. Without them the squeaking and vibrations get amplified massively...

Re: 1044763

Warped rotors rarely get loud until they have become obvious in other ways. The first place they show up is in a pulsating brake pedal

Back