Throttle position sensor?

tad

Heard of this Winch?

I have a 92 cherokee. The throttle position sensor went out about 2 weeks ago. I replaced, but it only lasted a day. Replaced it again. Checked, no tps trouble code. Lasted about a week. Out again. Code# 24. Only 3.65 volts with throttle wide open, supposed to be a little less than 4.8 according to Haynes. About 500 milivolts at closed position, haynes says it should be above 200 milivolts.

Also, code#12, battery disconnected, has been on all this time. Even though there is obviously power.

This all started after I changed out the driver side motor mount. Was fine before. Coincidence?

I'm not much of a mechanic. My troubleshooting skills are poor. My electrical knowledge is practically non-existent. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, nice board.

Re: RE: Heard of this Winch?

The battery disconnect code is normal, and will continue for a set amount of starts after the battery is reconnected.

Where are you getting your TPS's? Are they warrantying them?

Paragon?

After I got my new to me 88 XJ, I had some TPS issues. Most of it turned out to be a spray (I think WD 40) that somebody had used in the connectors. It messed with my voltage values, randomly.
I also cleaned my grounds good and checked all the connectors between the TPS and the computer for resistance.

Re: RE: Totally OT-Wanna Buy an Island?

Thanks, I'll check the grounds and wires and all today. Got the tps's at O'reilly's. Possible I got two bad ones in a row? Borg-Warner.

Warn winch mount tj

Still no success. Though I really don't know what I'm doing. Can't find anything visibly wrong, and not real sure how to use the meter to find it. Or even what i'm looking for. Got a new tps, wells brand this time, had it checked at the store, it was good. Brought it home, put it on the jeep, still only 3.6 volts, when it's supposed to be 4.8 at throttle open.

Guy at the store says sounds to him like the computer. 169 bucks. I'm lost.

RE: Right stuff for right person

Got to the parts store today, checked the trouble codes. Besides the usual battery disconnected and tps code, I now have a new one. MAP sensor. Replaced the MAP, cleaned everything, grounds included. No change. Still have all trouble codes, including MAP. Checked old tps at parts store. It's good.

Bounty Hunter, good idea. I tried, but had some trouble. Book says to take cps connector apart, probe a and b, should be no continuity. Book says a and b should be marked on connector. It's not. It's a 3 prong, triangle setup. If the top of the triangle is A, then there is no continuity between A and either of the other prongs. There is continuity between the two lower prongs. I'm guessing it's ok.

Any ideas why the battery disconnect is neverending? Computer? Alternator?

I went ahead and ordered the computer. It'll be here tomorrow. Already paid for, including $85 core. The wife is gonna kill me if that doesn't fix things. She loves her jeep.

I would say look at the motor mount you replaced. oftem times there is a loop of wire from the frame side of the mount to the engine side. This makes sure the engine is grounded since the mount is rubber. My CJ has this setup. If its not making a good ground that can cause this.

Back