Want to buy a New Liberty.......what are your thoughts?

JeepMonkey

The wife wants a new Liberty. I currently have a 2001 Wrangler so I'm not new to Jeepin'. That being said I don't watch all your guys posts so I'm curious if there are many negative comments about the new KJ's and what are they?

Any pros & cons you guys can tell me would be great. Thanks!

As long as you don't trade your Wrangler in on it, it'd be great to get it for the wife.......then you could take it off-road and report back to US!!!! I'm curious about them myself. I know they have the Independent Front Suspension so lifts are hard to find, limited, and expensive. But I'm curious about their performance. I wouldn't get one for me, but if the wife wanted one, I'd probably get it.....at least it's a Jeep.

ps. Thankfully mudwoman loves her little YJ

wouldn't think of trading the TJ in on it. I couldn't even bring myself to trade that in on the Unlimited Rubicon. However, if I had all the stock suspension components from the TJ to put back on it I might've considered it. I'm pretty sure all the Skyjacker parts I had would've worked on the Unlimted Rubi.

RE: Re: RE: "Sandwhich" or "Sammich"

there's nothing wrong with a liberty. i used to valet, so i've driven everything. they're nice. the IFS makes for a nicer on road ride. it all depends what you want it for. some people in here are going to tell you not to go with it cause they hate the IFS, but, if you're not going to build it up and go off-road, dont worry about it.

i'm not a ford guy, but i drove escapes too, and they're in the similar range. honestly, i love my jeep, and i'm going to drive it till it dies, then rebuild it and do it again, but i dont see anything wrong with owning a car from another company. as far as the saying "at least its still a jeep" goes, if you're not going to use it like an SUV, or for off roading, why does that matter?

so, that said, will it just be a DD for the wife? you got kids to lug around? she have a long commute daily? if you drive it, and like it, go for it, but if you realize its not quite what you're looking for, then there are plenty of other options out there.

RE: Fuel pump?

I don't like them, but a Liberty is still a Jeep and it's still a 4x4. 2 good qualities in my book.

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: "Sandwhich" or "Sammich&a

It will be the daily driver for the wife. Kids are in the future. She won't do much serious offroading, but sometimes it takes 4x4 to get to the campsites we like. PLus, we go to Pismo alot and the 4x4 does come in very handy out there.

My only problem now is the fact that she really likes the Liberty Limited and not so much the Renegade package. The limited has 17" rims and street tires. The fender flairs are painted to match the vehicle. The renegade has 16" rims and AT's. PLus, it comes with the light bar on top. Wife doesn't like that so much. But it's her vehicle if she gets it. I'm just scared that the first scratch or parking lot dings (she gets a lot of those!) she encounters is going to make her wish she got the unpainted flares. PLus, I know she's going to change her mind about being able to take her liberty wheeling with me. I can already see the boo-boo lip coming when I tell her no. Married guys you know what the boo-boo lip is!

RE: I

I'd get the ATs personally.. they will be better on pavement and off for traction. As for the liberty they are good 4x4's. I have a friend with one and we've had it to Paragon totally stock and it didn't do too bad. The suspension is tight with the sway bar but they do well off road.

My choice would be the Grand Cherokee though - its roomier and the longer wheel base does much better off-road.

This woman is taking resourcefullness a little too far

The GC is a little too expensive if we got it with all the options we want. PLus, we're not crazy at all about the new body style.

My wife has a Liberty and I have the Wrangler. She loves her Liberty...it's seats are a lot shallower than the Wrangler...but still comfortable.

It's a good kid car. Pleanty of room in the back seat for adults or kids. Not a lot of cargo space with the seats up...but just like a truck with them down. She drives the Sport and it can go everywhere the Wrangler can so far. No complaints....it's a lot smoother ride than the Wrangler in town too. We looked at the Limited too and the Rengade too....but if you use it off road...what's the point of all the extras, and she would have been upset if the painted fenders had gotten scratched?

The only extra hers has is the stereo controls on the back of the steering wheel and it's convenient.

Wherever you go...try to get them to throw in the crossrails for the roof rack. You can't really use the roof rack without them and they're about $175.00.

RE: HELP!!! Need opinions from all Jeepz folks...

Well, I think we've talked ourselves out of a new vehicle. She wants to go back to school to get her teaching credentials. Can't be spending money on vehicles we don't really need yet. Plus, I'm going to Kuwait for a year so I'll be making fat cash for that 12 months and when I get back we can get what we really want and not have to worry about making ends meet.

Thanks for all the info though.

Let her enjoy the Wrangler and watch your back!!! Bring your a$$ back home...there's more to life than money! Best of luck!

mud4feet said:
As long as you don't trade your Wrangler in on it, it'd be great to get it for the wife.......then you could take it off-road and report back to US!!!! I'm curious about them myself. I know they have the Independent Front Suspension so lifts are hard to find, limited, and expensive. But I'm curious about their performance. I wouldn't get one for me, but if the wife wanted one, I'd probably get it.....at least it's a Jeep.

ps. Thankfully mudwoman loves her little YJ

There are plenty of smaller lifts (2.5" and below) on the market right now. A couple companies are developing 4.5" (Superlift) and 7" (RockKrawler) lifts for the KJ. I can't compare it to other Jeeps, but it does pretty good offroad.

image-missing.png

That's my KJ on Laurel Mountain...Rusty's 2.5" coil spring lift, ARB BullBar, MT/Rs, armor, and some other stuff.

Back