Heating Problems

76quadtrac

76 jeep wagoneer just changed water pump/thermostat and coolant is at 50/50 and I don't have any heat. Have Circulation at heater core, fuses are ok, blower is ok, Heating/cooling vent door is operating. Please help
image-missing.png
[addsig]

If the inlet door to the heater, is switching over from fresh air to the heater and your getting hot coolant to the heater, you got me. I´d be temped to give the whole system the finger test, by following the hot coolant from the top hose inlet to the heater core and back to the motor. If you can get your finger on the heater core and the core is hot it has to be air. I seem to remember an in line valve, on the inlet hose for the heater on the full size Wagoneer. Also remember pulling hand fulls, of pine needles, out of the heater inlet behind the passengers side front kick panel. Got any pine trees around?[addsig]

Thanks Mudderchuck, I found what was wrong. The Heater core is partially plugged, any suggestions on how to clean it. a new one is $70.00. and hard to find. How would you get to it? Looks like it could be tough.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

We think we fixed our heating problems: We put radiator flush in the heater core and let it stand for about 1 hour and then we flushed it with air with no avail, then we added "the works" {toilet bowl cleaner}(hydrocloric acid) for 10 minutes then we flushed it with warm water through the intake and then the outlet (back and forth). Then it seemed to run clear without any crud comming out of the core. We replaced all fluids lost and started again had VERY good heat!!!!

So for any heating problems: check heater core on outlet side and it can be cleaned with raiator flush and hydrocloric acid (but not too long) and then flush with water.

(hydorcloric acid may eat through the aluminum in your core/radiator)

[This was a last kitch effort on our part to save the cost of a $70.00 core]

Thanks for all posted mesages related to this problem.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

I'd try going to a radiator shop and have it power flushed, before I put out the cash for a new one. Or, take off the heater hoses and flush it yourself with a power nozzle on a garden hose.[addsig]

KID, I replaced the heater core in my M715 with one out of a 197? wagoneer, I got it out at Johnsons. Only cost me 20 bucks. They have a handful of Wagoneers/Cherokees out there. Before you buy anything for your 76, give me a call and I'll see what they have out there for you. [addsig]

Sounds like winner to me. Often in the life of a Jeep sometime, somebody added radiator sealer, tends to settle in the heater core and low spots. Heck to clean back out. Next time, file it away, in the old grey matter, that pressure over about 30 PSI can have catastrophic results (been there done that). Happy winter. Have also seen radiators cleaned a little to long and strong and the results would crumble between your fingers. Only1JP and I have something in common, we are both buds with the guys at the junk yards, besides being fun it can save a bunch.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Back