92 cherokee Aut. not shifting, only 1 gear

Jeepsign

My cherokee is acting strange lately, it started like this; on the HWY after about 30km of driving the engine is sudenly very ruff it feels like the ignition works the wrong way and that it almost stals the engine.
When driving on cruiscontrol and "this" happens then imidiately the cruisecontrol acts on this by throwing up the refs, to pick up the speed again it was installed on, and the engine is responding to that resonable. So it feels like the ignition but because of the reaction I don't think it is.

Because of the distance after that it appears I thought that it had to do with switching from the cold to warm loop and all the sensors that are used from that moment.
So I checked the temp sensor, was OK
So I checked the TPS and discovered that the connector pins and inside connector housing where completely covered in oil and so I cleaned it.

AND THAN IT HAPPEND!!! after this cleaning I got the code #24 check TPS sensor/replace TPS sensor
and the check engine light came on and I have only first gear left, it won't shift to the seccond gear (automatic transmission).

I went to the official Jeep dealer, changed the TPS for a new one but still no improvement it still only has first gear, they checked the rest of the system and this cost euro 228,-
Now they say it is the PCM who has to be replaced and that thing costs euro 670,- ex tax and labour in the Netherlands, but I don't think this is it because I only cleaned the connector and than it happend.

Can some one help me with this problem, I'am not that technical myself or have the money at hand the Jeep dealer asks.

Eckhardt

I recommend posting this on www.naxja.org/forum and maybe even sending Eagle a PM. They're the XJ gurus and this problem sounds like it may have a more reasonable fix. Good luck, and welcome to Jeepz.com.

Problem solved.
The wires inside the TPS sensor, the 5volt and the groudwire, where switched. The oil in the connector made an electrical contact and caused a signal for the PCM and this made the engine running (not verry well and not always in the same way) .
By cleaning of all the oil of the connector there was no electrical contact anny more and the PCM then send the error 24 code.
I took the complete connectorpins out and switched them according the Power Train Service Manual that I borrowed from the Dealer.
Now it runs great again
The former owner rebuild the engine and probably changed the wires for some reason

The Naxja forum didn't gave any reply but there where symilar post that where helpfull, so thanks for the tip.

RE: new here, howzit

Hey, congratulations on getting that fixed, glad to hear that another Jeep is happy and back on the road :) Welcome to Jeepz, where in the Netherlands are you located? I know the area very very roughly... Hope you hang around, we're a great group from all over the place :)

RE: Re: RE: More info on the Commander

I am from a place called 's-hertogenbosch also called Den Bosch and translated it is called Duke Town, in the area of Noord Brabant witch is the south part of the Netherlands.
I see that I joined as a member when I was four years old so wy it took so long for the first post, I don't now!

Back