'98 Manual Cherokee Stalling after Hour(s) of Highway Drivin

dodgeball

I have a 1998 manual Cherokee Sport that is stalling on long-distance trips. After an hour-plus of highway driving (70-75 mph), it will decelerate to the point where I have to pull off the highway. When it happened a couple months ago, I just cut off the engine, re-started and went on my way with no more problems. Thinking it was an exception, I didn't have it checked out. Yesterday, it happened again. This time, I tried to re-start and get going and it just stalled out. After sitting for five minutes, I was able to re-start and get back on the road for another hour w/out any more problems. Anyone else experienced this? Thoughts/suggestions? Thanks in advance.

A bad catalytic converter will choke the engine down as it heats up over time, choking it until the engine dies. Once it cools it will flow enough exhaust to run again. It should be covered under an 8yr/80K Federal Emissions Warranty by the dealership.

RE: Re: RE: Times are changing and so is my ride

Bounty_Hunter wrote:
A bad catalytic converter will choke the engine down as it heats up over time, choking it until the engine dies.

That is true and if it is found to be the problem, find out why it got plugged in the first place. Cats should last because there is no moving parts. Usually when a cat fails, it is due to something else like a bad O2 sensor or something in the engine managment system dumping raw fuel or too much fuel and the unburned fuel turns to super-heated gas that destroys the catalyst. Check this by running you finger up into the cold tail pipe and see if you have alot of black soot. If so, look into the cause.

The problem could also be a fuel pump getting hot and shutting off also.

Good luck with it.

Back