Rusty's VS RE Rnd 835

CJatGuy

I know this has been beaten many times...but i just want to see something quick...

Beat my prices...this is the cheapest i found or find me something comparable:

- Rusty's 3.5AAL is 245 + 45 Shipping giving us a clean $300. Shocks, coils,AAL, Brake Lines...im going with the 180lb spring.

- RE 3.5 Super Ride AAL is 449 includes shocks, aal, front coils,lines and LCA's? Disconnects...some other stuff (not sure what the other stuff is.)

Now I want to go out and do some mild offroading...have some fun in the mud, climb some hills, park on other peoples cars, that sorta stuff. I want the Cherokee to be able to enjoy the outdoors...not totally rip it apart.

I would like new wheels, which will probablly cost around 60 per wheel.

Is spending the extra 150 bucks for the things included with the RE kit worth it for just basic wheelin? Yes Yes I know, RE is far superiour quality blah blah blah...but im not going to Moab or Rubican or anyplace like that...maybe some of the places in PA(Rousche)...but thats it really.

So im thinking...150 bucks may be worth the extra quality, but has anyone seen it cheaper then 450 for the RE SuperRide? Im a college student...with very little money, and better things to spend money on then my car...so I dont NEED a serious lift, but my Jeep does NEED shocks and rear springs.

and no...i dont want full leaf packs because i doubt i'll own the Jeep more then a year or two.

RE: Re: RE: First JEEP stitches!!!

i had the Rusty's 3" lift on my XJ... it rode super nice, and i never had a problem with it. make sure you get it aligned and you'll be set, i never had any driveline vibrations (until i broke my transmission mount!). get the complete rear spring packs, i have read that the AAL's will sag quickly.

RE: Rusty

My AAL's are over 2 years old, and not sagged a bit. I have wheeled it quite a bit. It's a good buy, and then when you need them you can buy the complete spring kit. Think about it, what're you going to do with your stock springs?

RE: Fender Flare Remnents??

What Backspacing for a 3.5 lift?

Quadratec has some mean deals on Cragar wheels...36 bucks a pop! thats darned cheap.

Im thinking 5x4.5 15-8 with 4.0 backspacing? Im not too worried about rubbing offroad as i am onroad.

lots of people here really like rusty's products. i have personally never installed any of his products on my zj (actually i have his front hooks, but no lift stuff from him), but my roommate has a (mostly) rusty's lift on his xj and loves it.

a lot of zj owners i know say his zj products are not up to par. but most admit that he does stand by his products. he's a smaller company than RE, so its generally much more pleasant to deal with. and i have called the shop to inquire before about products, and everytime i got rusty himself. i think the thing is, you're more likely to get a "lemon" type product with rusty, because all the products are made by hand. they're not machine honed like RE stuff. so occasionally there will be a faulty product. but like i said, he does stand by his product, which goes a long way.

i'd say shop around. probably nothing wrong with either of the lifts you are looking at, but there are other options.

lastly, recommended for 3.5" of lift on an xj with 32" tires is 4.25" backspacing, and same lift with 33" tires 4.00" backspacing. good luck.

RE: more messing around (limited time)

I've already told you my take on AAL's. Mingez may have had good results with them, but mine are sagged already after 1 year, and that is mostly what the result is. If you can afford it get full packs.

Backspacing should be 4.5" to get the best combination of spacing away from the LCA's and still stuff under the stock flares.

Which stock wheels are on there now? 15x7? 16x7?

As for Rusty's, he makes a solid product. The forums which flame him are full of guys who sell or make products in competition with him (NAXJA or NAGCA).

I have used both Rusty's and RE products on my XJ and with great results.

Im in Lancaster, just across the river from you Twisted.

Stock wheels are 15x7.

4.0' backspacing too much for a 3.5' lift and 31's? Quadratec has killer deals on those 15x8 4.0 backspaced Cragars.

XJ with a YJ front. You've got to see this to believe it.

I have 5" BS on my soft 8's, but the tires are 31x9.50's. They are perfect. 4.5" BS is the optimal BS for 31x10.50's. Quadratec should have those too. I'll post ya a link when I get back to MD and my computer.

Back