94 Cherokee dies while driving

dmcash

shaking during braking

I have a 94 cherokee, lately while driving down the road it will just die and won't start up immediately most of the time. (But doesn't die all of the time!) It will work just fine for a few days or so then start acting up again.

It isn't over heating or appear to be anything mechanical. Seems to be electrical. I have replaced the coil and put an inner coil ring in the distributor and even have put a new ingnition switch in it.

I am baffled because if you just start it cold it will start and run great.

Just looking to see if anyone has experienced such a problem. Could it be something with the computer?

RE: shaking during braking

Is there any gradual power loss?

Is there any pattern to getting it to restart, like waiting a certain amount of time?

When it dies, try to cycle the key to the on position without starting it and go to the back and lay down under the fuel tank and see if you hear the pump run. It will be nessessary to have someone else turn the key on and off while you listen for the pump to cycle.
My theory is that the fuel pump may be getting hot and shutting off then cooling down and running for awhile.

It doesn't have any electical charge from what i can tell when it dies. Pulled a plug and no spark while cranking. I may have tunnel vision but it has to be some type of electrical malfunction. When it dies I don't have any power at all. Not for the radio, instruments, etc.. Same characteristics as a bad ignition switch but i have put 2 in so far...

RE: Cylinder Heads

See if you get someone to get a ODBI diognostic tool on there, If it is purely electrical, most likely the ECM. My buddys old 93 ZJ kept doing the same thing, after days of tinkering and what not, we had the computer read and it was a bad ecm.

Moderatly proced through a junk yard.

Back