how to reset the ecu?

AKASHAJEEP

I have heard of this being performed after certain changes have been made to the vehicle and sometimes yeilds positive results. does anyone know how to reset the ecu on a 96' xj sport to default settings?

Disconnect the positive cable at the battery and ground it out on the chassis for 30 seconds. Reconnect the positive cable, turn the ignition to run, turn the headlights on, turn the headlights off, turn the ignition off. The 'puter should be reset. It takes up to 50 warm-up cycles for the computer to relearn all the operating parameters.

Bounty__Hunter said:
Disconnect the positive cable at the battery and ground it out on the chassis for 30 seconds.

ok wait jsut a minute there! !LOL you mean to touch the positive cable of my vehicle to the ground? hmmmm isnt that going to short everything out? not reset but SHORT ? LOL

touch it to the frame/chassis.

No it won't short anything out. I think it would if you connected the possitive terminal to the negative terminal, while they were still hooked to the battery...or anything similar to that, but not by simply touching the possitive cable (which is disconnected from the battery) to the chassis. If that makes any sense.

it does make perfect sense but arent there little capacitors inside the brains of the jeep? I know there are in my h/u for the stereo. caps store power and if discharged like that can damage the goods. or so I thought.

RE: New shocks but...steering linkage - leaking lube

You won't short anything out, the pos. cable is disconnected completely and touching it to ground discharges the capacitors in the system that store memory. This is the method used by DC AFAIK.

Back