I have NO brakes

Sly8795

Gas Cable Problems

My brakes have been pretty bad since the day I purchased the jeep (3 years ago) it used to make a hissing noise when I would brake (brake booster seal problem?) well finally they went out. I can stop but the pedal goes to the floor and defiently wont stop me if I have to brake immediatley I have start brakeing a good distance before the spot I actually want to stop at. If I pump the brakes i get some brake power and it doesn't go all the way to the floor. Is my brake booster bad? Master cylinder? The truck is in the shop right now for a tire rotation and to check this problem out. I will most likely try and fix this myself i just thought i would get some opinions from you guys for when the mechanic gets back to me. If it is the brake booster etc. what is the difficulty im looking at? I have a chiltons and looked at brake booster looks pretty straight forward.

Thanks in advance

The hissing kinda tells me it's your booster, but I'm no mechanic, just past experience. I think you're on the right track looking there first.

RE: "Ugliest Dog Crowned" (You

Sly8795 said:
If I pump the brakes i get some brake power and it doesn't go all the way to the floor.

Is the pedal spongy when it does work? Sounds like it just needs to be bled. I'd try that first before looking into replacing the booster or master. Plus it's free (except for the cost of fluid).

RE: "Ugliest Dog Crowned" (You

My pedal has always been spongy and when I have bleed the brakes in the past it has been a solid feel on the pedal for about a day but then gets spongy again. Now its 10 times worse. Any other suggestions?

Are you losing fluid? I would think leak of some sort; losing fluid drops pressure, causing brakes to not work, leak lets air in, hence the constant bleeding of the system... Either a massive leak in one of the brake lines, or perhaps the master cylinder? Just my suggestion...

I would replace the master cylinder from your given info - sounds like the master is "leaking internally" (fluid is doubling back alongside the piston into the reservoir) A quick check to help that is a good indicator - take the master cover off, start engine and press on the brake pedal. Normally a good cylinder can spurt a couple of short columns of fluid upward at the initial pressing of the pedal, then the rest of fluid will travel to the slaves. A bad cylinder will do the same initial spurt, but as you keep pressing the pedal down (not too slow, but not like a panic stop either) the fluid will bypass the piston and create activity in the reservior as the pedal travels to the floor. The fluid is taking the path of least resistance and the bad master bore and piston is it. Points to ponder 1) if possible, have a partner work the pedal while you watch without getting fluid splashed in your eyes. 2) this WILL probably make a mess with brake fluid all over, including on the paint, so take precautions to clean up or keep fluid from splashing all over too much. This new master cylinder with clean fluid also sets you up properly for future front and/or rear brake jobs. Good luck. LBR

RE: hesitation when stepping on the gas

Sounds like the master cylinder to me too, but I'm no brake expert :roll:

Are you losing any fluid? That will give you a good indication of what the problem could be.

RE: Welding help anyone?

I'm pretty sure its the master. I picked one up the other day and I am going to install it on Saturday. I am new to "bench bleeding" what do I use to hold the master while I push in the cylinders? It says not to use a vice? Any suggestions would be helpful. I have been spraying the nuts that attatch the lines to the master cylinder so I wont bend a brake line.

I just blocked the master up so it was level and held it by hand as I bench bled it. Its not too tough

RE: There is a new gal in town!

I LIGHTLY clamp my master cylinders in the vice and try to hook the edge of the jaws on a ridge, casting boss or the ears and then carefully bench bleed with a BFP(punch). LBR

Back