check out my home-made roof top tire carrier! (pics)

dingus

Re: RE: Never too tough for MOM!!

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

This is how i did it...

weldable steel square tubing (bars running front-to-back); held on by custom-made brackets connected via 5/16"x 3" Bolts, washers, and nuts to my Thule load bars; 1/8" thick angle steel going paralell to square tubes connected by u-bolts to run the bolt up through a lug nut hole (1/2" x 5" bolt. I got this steel wheel and new tire for $20 (pulling strings) and the materials cost about $80 at the hardware store... This was my all-day project... tomorrow i'm gonna drill into it for eye-hooks so i can run bungies over the tire in an "X", and remove the angle-iron underneath and replace it just a strap, it will bend better so it will be able to tighten down more.

i also met a guy at the junkyard who works for Camp Jeep, he invited me out tomorrow but i dont have towhooks on her yet!!! Oh well, the owner of the yard said he can track him down easily, they're friends of some sort at least... thought that was pretty exciting!

-Nate

RE: "Dune Fest"-Winchester Bay, OR.

Great lookin' fab job!!! But doesn't that hurt your aerodynamics? :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Re: using iol

haha right, aerodynamics... like the jeep isn't shaped like a freakin brick already! haha

RE: "Dune Fest"-Winchester Bay, OR.

Brick? I prefer "refrigerator box", thank you very much :lol: :lol: :lol: ... Looks nice, wish I had the time, knowledge, or patience to knock together something like that...

RE: On the road again

Actually, with the way Jeeps are shaped, I believe it actually helps aerodynamics to add extra resistance points.

Back