Gross/large Vacuum leak

CherokeeGuy42

My engine light has been on in my 01 XJ for a while now and when I had it scanned the first time the guy said my gas cap was loose and low battery. So I replaced the battery and tightened the cap and the light went off for a day and came back. So I waited a while and got it scanned agian and the guy at Autozone said it was a Large vacuum leak. Then I had it scanned agian by a friend and it said a Gross vacuum leak. My friend reset the light and it stayed off for 2 days and came back on. We checked the vacuum lines and they seem to have suction in them so we don't know what is wrong. I'm thinking of buying a new gas cap to see if that was the problem. Anyone had this problem before?

Also when we were checking my lines we didn't notice suction for the vacuum filter line and the purge solinoid was just clicking. You could feel it and hear it if you were really close. Are those things normal or could that be where my problem is? Thanks.

RE: 4.2L?

My jeep has wheels... :?

Seriously, while I have no idea of that last bit, I do know that a vacuum leak is quite audible... My suggestion, therefore, is that perhaps something is clogged... Are all your vacuum actuated systems working OK... I know that a biggie is the HVAC; if you have it set to vent, and it's only going floor/defrost, there's a vacuum problem, because those doors are all vacuum actuated...

Just a suggestion, that's all I've got. I'd kill for just a nice simple vacuum leak right about now...

RE: Axle swap

It's likely an EVAP leak, which has to do with the fuel cap and keeping the fuel system sealed and properly venting. Might try a new fuel cap or look for a split EVAP line coming to or from the fuel tank or charcoal canister.

From what I've read that clicking is normal.

Back