How do I get to the wheel bearings on my 93 Cherokee?

shultz2361

I have a wheel squeaking up front, I am reasonably sure that a bearing is the culprit. I checked with some local auto parts stores, and they tell me that I can not buy bearings separately, that they are part of a "hub assembly", that is about $100+. Can you just repack these hub assemblies? If so how do yo get to where the bearing is. I am a first time Jeep owner, and first time 4WD owner. I am not terribly knowledgable about 4Wd systems. But I HATE paying people for something I could probably do myself, if I just knew how. If any one can help me out with a few tips I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

ccm2361@hotmail.com[addsig]

I´m pretty sure your 93 is the same as my old 87 was. The front wheel bearings are sealed and can´t be repacked. The bearing hub is screwed to the steering knuckle and a pain to get seperated, because they often rust into one chunk of junk. The only way I´ve found to remove the bearing hub is to use a cold chisel as a wedge, being careful of the brake backing plate (dust shield) and the bolt holes. Any dents and dings can latter be filed straight without much damage. Maybe someone else knows a better way. After removal of the suicide nut on the outside of the axle, you can try wiggling the axle up and down, to check for play in the bearings. But I´d look (listen) real close before removing the hub. Could be something else. When reassembling, grease everything liberaly with lithium grease, this will really help with disassembly next time you have to replace the front U-joints. Better get a book before trying this. The right side axle is, two peice and can be reassemblied wrong (front 4X axle engage yoke). Also be careful of the rubber brake lines, don´t let the brakes hang, wire them up out of the way, as the brake line is easily damaged. A hundred isnt a bad price, my local parts store wants $160.[addsig]

Back