Death Wobble?

CherokeeGuy42

New Jersey State Inspection

Ok here's the situation. I hit a tree with my 01 XJ and so the steering wheel is cocked to the right about 5-10 degrees. Also when I turn my wheel one way, then hard the other it has a delay and then yanks over. Also going down the highway I feel a vibration for about 2 seconds then a clear spot, then more vibration. I'm probalby going to have to get an alignment, after I replace the front rotors and pads. Is the vibration from alignment or something else?

On another note. I keep hearing this click in my rear end. I had it on my other cherokee too. Any ideas to what it is? I'm thinking about changing the fluids in both front and rear axles. What do you think about a limited-slip or airlocker for the rear? Remember this is just a stock 01 cherokee for mostly DD but some offroad play too, also snow/ice. Thanks.

RE: New Jersey State Inspection

You've got some pretty serious issues with the steering and possibly control arms and the front track bar. I'd take a close look at what needs replacing before throwing money at an alignment.

RE: Hood Misaligned.

Yea I don't know much about the front suspension setup, but I have to drive 700 miles in a week and a half. So I doubt I can replace stuff that quick. But when I hit the tree I hit my brushgaurd then driver door. I don't know why my steering wheel moved, unless I was pulling harder to the right than I thought I was. I can get pics if needed.

Definately have the person doing the alignment check out all the steering components. If they are all straight an alignment should get you right. How hard did ya hit the tree?

Well I went into a 90 degree right turn at 30-35mph and slammed on the brakes and turned hard right, but the ABS kicked in and didn't really slow me down any. So I hit the tree probalby between 15-25mph. Luckily I had a brushgaurd cause we bounced off the tree kinda with it.

Chances are the axle was pushed sideways, which would cause the steering wheel to be off-center. Inspect the front track bar (panhard bar) closely.

RE: Need quick help.

I greased the bushings on the front suspension and the wobble isn't bad anymore. Just an occasional thing but nothing big. So anyone else with the Death Wobble might want to try that if you haven't already. Thanks for the advice guys.

Did you get an alignment yet? Even if it seems better you need an alignment or you will start chewing up tires.

RE: clocking dana 300

OK, I had this happen, everyone out there was thinking bent control arms, bent trackbar, things like that... But I looked underneath, and saw nothing bent... Turns out that it was just a mere alignment issue, 50 bucks, and she was steering and running just fine...

I have been lax in such things lately, when I got air under the Jeep the last time I was wheeling, it knocked the wheel back out, and it's shimmying, shuddering like crazy, it's tearing the tires up, so take my word for it, as soon as you can, get it aligned... (I have to wait till payday, but as soon as I can, it's getting done.)

Back