I need help installing aftermarket temp guage

cadesertracer

Anyone done this on a 97+ 4.0L XJ? I need an empty port to put the sensor in and I can't use any of the factory coolant temperature sender holes because the computer needs those to function properly. Someone suggested putting a new hole in the thermostat housing next to the factory sender, but there's no room for that. Any help appreciated. [addsig]

there's not a temp guage already on there!?<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Code:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><PRE> </PRE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>[addsig]

Might check out the block drain plugs, don´t know if there is enough room to fit a sensor in there (they are heck to get out). Might also have a look at the radiator drain cock (usually plugged up and useless anyway) but this will give you a temp after cooling. VDO used to make a replacement thermostat stud, that was a combo sending unit, might take a look in the cataloge. Water jacket access is usually a 3/8 or 1/4 inch pipe plug, and different years and models have various access points. Don´t forget to give the plug, a good wack with the hammer, before attempting removal.[addsig]

Back