98 Grand Cherokee Limited 5.9

Joopin

Super Moderator
RE: commander commercial

Hey Cherokee people :D

I was wondering if anyone knew of any downsides to this Jeep, a 98 Grand Cherokee Limited, the one with the 5.9 V8 in it. I guess they only put this engine in this Jeep one year then went back down to the 5.2 in 99. Is there a reason for this? Was the engine too much for the rest of the drivetrain? If there are any things to watch out for when purchasing one please share.

And no it's not me thats in the market, my buddy wants an SUV to pull his crap around and the Grand Cherokee is the top choice of course!

Thanks,
Joop

It's the 5.9L Dodge engine. The standard V8 in those was the Dodge sourced 5.2L, which was a 318. The one year only 360 cubic inch engine is it's big brother. Nothing really special compared to the 318, just bigger and more powerful. They are snatched up pretty quick and usually go for what early WJs do. I'd like to have one. It's a very peppy package. Do the Tcase swap that Snitty just went through and the thing will scream, for a Jeep. The quarter mile times are similar to a new GC with the Hemi, and improvement is easy.

What model hard top do I have!

Oops, 5.9... I should have known better. Also, has anyone seen them in a manual? We've only seen auto... I assume that's the only transmission available but I thought I would check. Thanks for the info Junk.

Back