What year XJ?

90growler

I am looking for an XJ project and think I may have found one. Does anybody know what fuel injection is stock in the '89 4.0? Any suggestions on what years to look for. (I found that '89 for $1,500 and 124,000 mi.....hard to pass).

i wouldn't buy anything older than a '92... thats when they released the 4.0 HIGH OUTPUT motors... actually, i'd just stay away from the '90 models... thats the odd-ball year that nobody stocks parts for.

'91+ is the 4.0L HO, the '87-'90 4.0L is the Renix fuel injection system. Both are MPFI, but the HO has a better head and is less problematic.

Overall they aren't too bad, just not as sought after as the HO. I've got an '88 4.0L myself.

TwistedCopper said:
More durable than what? The XJ's got better with age.

Remember this quote, ALL, (in reference to Wraglers, of course) when badmouthing the TJ (I know, I know........VERY easy target!!):lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :rofl:

mud4feet said:
Remember this quote, ALL, (in reference to Wraglers, of course) when badmouthing the TJ (I know, I know........VERY easy target!!):lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :rofl:

That statement doesn't apply to SWB Jeeps ;)

TwistedCopper said:
More durable than what? The XJ's got better with age.

What year is your XJ..TC? I am looking at the TJ style 97-01.

just stay away from the '97's... i've read they had MAJOR problems with the fuel tanks / pumps.

I LOVE my '00... Never had a problem with it at all, heard of some amazing issues with 97 and 98...

Have a couple buddies driving '95s... Those, as well, are very strong and durable.

XJs age like fine wine, they might leak a bit here and there, but they're more and more delightful as the days go by :)

90growler said:
What year is your XJ..TC? I am looking at the TJ style 97-01.
it's a 2000.

Ok, I'm confused. First post indicates you're looking for an XJ, this one a TJ?

90growler said:
I was talking about the dash being TJish. Is the 97 & 98 really a problem?
Ah, okay. Yeah my dash looks just like a TJ dash. The only thing I've had is the guages quit working, but a rap on the dash has solved that. IT's an ez thing to fix if I would take the time to do it.

It's the first I've heard of trouble with the 97 and 98, so I can't help you there. Even the later years have pretty reasonable price tags nowadays...

I have a '96 with 134,000 and the only problems i've had is 2 fuel pumps in 2 years. Kindaq gets expensive. I think i just got a defective fuel pump 1st time.

Back