'95 Grand Cherokee Laredo V8 4X4 Idle Problems

MPOLICE24

Okay Its A ......
.....grand Cherokee Laredo
..... V8
......4x4 (all Time 4 Wheel Drive).
......134,000 Miles On It.

-i'm Not Very Mechnical So If Someone Could Help Me I Would Greatly Appreciate It.

-the Problem Is In The Mornings When I Take My Kid To School (i Live In Sc, So Its Around 35-55 Degrees In Morns)
-cranks Fine
- Starts Up
- But Then The Engine Starts Shuddering, Shaking, Vibrating, Something Like That. And It Cause The Whole Car To Shake. Its Almost Like Its Miss Firing Or Missing (because If You Feel The Exhaust From The Tail Pipe It Is Kinda Puff, Puff, Puff; Almost Like A Air Compressor Does When You Start It)

-anyways When You Put It In Drive, If It Is Below Like 2000 Rpms It Will Shake Horribbly. But If You Floor It To Cause It To Go Into A Lower Gear Or To Raise The Rpms It Sill Stop. Then When You Come To Stop, When The Brakes Are Applied It Feels Almost Like Its Going To Shut Off, The Rpms Drops To Under Like 500-1000.

-im Not Real Sure Whats Wrong But I Have Put
....new Spark Plugs,
....new Spark Plug Wires,
....new Distributor Cap,
....and The Little Thing That Goes Under It,
....new Fuel And Air Filter,
And Still Does The Same Thing!!!!!

Please Help..............
If Anyone Can Help I Would Greatly Be Appreciated.

Hmmmmm its a 95 so it has fuel injection, . . . maybe a bad injector. . . harmonic balancer?, hard to say.

Have you had it scanned for codes (Autozone and others will do it for free)?? Might give everyone a little more help in diagnosing. I know on my TJ, there's a method for reading codes straight from the odometer..............not too sure about a '95.

autozone wont do OBD 1 codes...i tried, but you can go to a mechanic, usually cost 80 to do a diagnostic, but i talked mine down to nothing...

Wow, that could be a number of things. Check engine light on? What does the smoke look like coming out of the tailpipe? Have you checked your vaccum lines? Broken motor mount? I would get somebody with an OBD scnner to check the codes. My bet is that it is some sort of emisssions sensor/vaccum stopage or leak.

Last edited:
Okay The Check Engine Light Is Not On. But Now I've Noticed Its Not Just In The Mornings But When You First Start It Up. Then After Driving For About 5mins It Subsides...or When I Stop On The Gas It Stops And Then Let Off To Slow Down It Stops...and I Believe That Auto Zone Wont Check It Or It Wont Show Up Unless The Check Engine Light Is On. Smoke Is Clear I Guess Maybe A Little Bit Of White But Mostly Clear.

Also I Went By Advanced Auto And They Said It May Be The Air Control Valve? I Think Thats What He Said. He Said Since It Has Carbon Build Up On It That It Could Cause It To Stick. Anyone Know About This?

As I Said I'm Not To Mechnical So What Is A Harmonic Balancer?
And If It Was Emissions/vacuum Hoses What Do I Need To Look For?
And I Thought It May Be A Bad Injector, But Why Would It Stop After Driving For 5mins Then Go Away? Would A Bad Injector Act That Way?

Thanks For The Help Maybe With A Little More Q's And A's I'll Be Able To Do The Right Thing.

That's What He Said It Was A Idle Air Control Valve, Seen It Tried To Clean It Off With Carb Cleaner But Said If Its Old Or The Spring In It Is Worn Out It Will Stick.
But What Does This Do And Could This Be It...i Know It May Not Be But Would Have The Syptoms Of Whats Happening?

just get someone to scan it with an obd 1 scanner with a daimler-chrysler hookup and check the error...the check engine light would only be on if it was emissions related...may have an error code that doesn't trigger a light...

Remove the throttle body from the engine and give it a good bench cleaning with all sensors removed. Be sure to clean the IAC housing, it's what controls the idle and is likely the cause of your problems.

Back