Burning?

CherokeeGuy42

Ok when I turn off my 01 XJ Sport I can smell what seems to be burnt coolant. I figured maybe I blew a head gasket or have a leak in the line, but I haven't noticed a drop in my coolant level, engine running hotter than normal, or any puddles under my jeep. So I don't really know what to think. Also my bro said it smells like I'm burning oil when I get on the gas pretty good. I'm about to do an oil change so hopefully that'll help or atleast if I am burning oil I'll get my level back up. Any idea on what's going on? Oh and does anyone elses XJ ride around 2200 RPM when cruising at 70mph? I could have swore it used to run at 2000RPM at that speed. Thanks

Oh and I also had a radiator flush during Thanksgiving so it's not really old fluid in there. Any ideas?

CherokeeGuy42 said:
Also my bro said it smells like I'm burning oil when I get on the gas pretty good.

Maybe you're running rich? Replace your plugs recently? Any shop can pressure-check your coolant system and let you know if you have any leaks, i've never been charged more than 5 bucks for it...

I haven't changed my plugs in about 20K. I thought they lasted that long, but apparently I'm supposed to change every 10k? I learn something new everyday.

Replace plugs @ 10k???? Just pull one out and look at it. If you have a bad or misfiring cylinder the spark plugs will tell you which one by how they look. I would check to see if your water pump is weeping and just burning off before it reaches the ground. There is a tiny weep hole in the bottom of the water pump that will slowly weep if the pump is going bad. You may just have a simple emmissions problem. Has it passed and what does the smoke look like coming out the tailpipe?

Back