1996 differences questions

Psomion

I just picked up a 1996 cherokee country edition that seems pretty nice. Of course i'm interested in bringing out some extra power but it seems this is an odd year for engine stuff. I would guess it falls in the earlier engine family as 97 was the big change for the cherokee but the catologes of parts i see seem to sell parts up to 95 and then starting at 97. What all is different and is there something i should change to make it more "standard"? thanks
-Doug

Psomion said:
What all is different and is there something i should change to make it more "standard"? thanks
-Doug

97's are notorious for having problems with the fuel pumps, so you picked the a good year. i wouldn't change a thing. what kinds of parts are you having trouble finding???

I just am noticing when i look through 4wd.com stuff it goes from XX-95 wrangler and then from 97-XX. I didn't know how to look for stuff for the 96 (looking at exaust at the moment but it was for air intakes as well) I know there are going to be differences in the wrangler and cherokee but i didn't know how that played out for these years... Thanks

well now you're talking about wranglers...

wranglers xx-95 are YJ's, they didn't produce any in '96 (just sold 95's i presume), and then the TJ's started in '97.

cherokees are a whole different animal.

ok, good to know.. so the fuel electronic systems tend to match up with the 95 older wranglers right? Did they change the heads in 97 or was 91 the only real major head change?

Or should i stop trying to comare granny smiths with red delicious?

Last edited:
yeah why are you looking at wrangler stuff? you're a cherokee...

91 was the first year of the 4.0 high output motors which included a higher-compression cylinder head.

as for getting more power, start with the simple bolt-ons - intake, header, exhaust, oversize throttle body... with those 4 things, you'll be seeing over 250lb-ft of torque and it'll SCREAM!

i picked up my intake/exhaust kit from Rusty's for $220 shipped. flowmaster cat-back kit and K&N intake.
www.rustysoffroad.com

-dingus

Last edited:
Only reason i was looking at the wrangler stuff was thats all the 4wd book lists. The upgrades you listed are exactaly what i was looking at doing pretty much. Thanks for the link. I also was thinking of changing the axle ratios.. do you know what they were stock? is my jeep (96) a dana 30 front 35 rear?

Dana30 front axle, and either a D35 or Chrysler 8.25" in the rear. The 8.25 was standard with the tow package and included a factory receiver and external transmission cooler.

3.55 are the most common XJ gear ratio, could be 3.07 if you have a 5spd.

you'd have to have a dealer run your VIN to see what gear ratios you have... (without taking it apart at least...) this is the spec list they gave me about my jeep, just to show you what else you would find out:

image-missing.png

thats the only one i get, great catalog, great company.

Back