steering wander?

Crewdude007

I recently put a 2" Daystar lift on my 2001 xj sport. It included front spring spacers and longer rear shackles. I also installed Skyjacker hydro shocks and a Skyjacker track bar w/steering stabilizer. Now, I'm feeling the vehicle wander at speeds above 30mph. I've had one alignment and two different shops look at the front end. Both tell me that the steering components are sound and they can't find the problem. Anybody have another idea? Could the longer rear shackles be causing a problem? It seems like any flaw in the road (big or small) causes me to have to countersteer.

they call that "bump steer"... look it up on Google or something and it should get you going in the right direction...

could also be a result of the front axle shifting to the side due to the lift, but i can't imagine that being an issue... but if thats what it is, they make adjustable trac bars (or you can re-drill your stock one)

Did they give you your caster spec? Your caster should be cranked all the way out with the budget boost, pushing the bottom of your axle (lower control arms) as far forward as possible. You can check this yourself, making sure the adjuster is ran all the way forward where the lower control arm attaches to the chassis.

Bounty__Hunter said:
Did they give you your caster spec? Your caster should be cranked all the way out with the budget boost, pushing the bottom of your axle (lower control arms) as far forward as possible. You can check this yourself, making sure the adjuster is ran all the way forward where the lower control arm attaches to the chassis.

The left front is set at 6.54 (spec is 5.25-8.5), right front 6.53 (same), and cross caster is 0.01 (spec is -1.25 - 1.25).

Last edited:

Does anybody know of an alignment or offroad shop in NJ that has experience in aligning lifted jeeps?

Back