Changing the Serpentine Belt on a '90 Cherokee Laredo

LA4by

Anybody had any experience changing the Serpentine belt on a '90 Cherokee Laredo?

I'm getting a rattle in the front - sounds like a belt issue - Serpentine belt showing some cracks - The tech at Jiffy Lube recommended I change it (of course he did!) - I declined and two days later I'm getting a rattle in the front of the engine. If you've had experience changing the belt I'd appreciate any pointers.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

You didn´t mention wether you had air or not. The idler pulley on top often makes a rattleing sound when the bearings are going. The belt adjuster (without air) is the power steering pump. loosen the mounting bolts (don´t forget the bottom) and the adjuster sits in there sideways. The whole works is kinda hard to get to without skinning a knuckle.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

I do have AC - would the rattle be a sign of a warn Serp belt or should I be looking for something more serious? What are the tensioning concerns when I replace the belt?

Thanks for your help.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

just replace the belt anyway just to be sure. i changed my serpentine belt about 2 months ago on my '90 XJ limited, with AC... and it took about 20 minutes. woulda been 5 except i didn't know what i was doing. pick up a haynes manual if you do'nt have one yet. make sure its tight too, otherwise it'll squeal![addsig]

If you haven´t changed the belt yet. It´s a good idea to shake and spin everything with the belt off, you can often feel loose of worn bearings. Other than a belt tension checker found at most garages, the best method I´ve found is to check for a little play on the longest run of the belt, and leave 3/8 to 1/2 play, with moderate pressure from the old thumb (if it squeals it´s either too loose or covered in anti-freeze or oil usually). Over tightening can cause premature bearing failure, often in the water pump.[addsig]

I have a 92 and to change my belt I had to take all of the bolts off of the power steering pump and then loosen the rocker bolt on the bottom and it came right out....

Just took my a while to figure it all out....[addsig]

Back