Transmission/TC rattle, 4WD indicator, CD player that doesn't, fun

Kevin72

Hello all,

I have a few quirks with my '97 Cherokee w/ AT and Command-Trac. It has 118k miles, so they are to be expected...

First and foremost, there is a rattle in the transmission area when sitting still, in gear, with foot on brake (i.e., at a red light). The rattle stops when I hold the transfer case shifter down (in 2H). It is also sometimes audible for a few seconds when accelerating from a stop. It used to only happen in 2H, but I noticed it today in 4H as well. In reading this board, I've seen a few possible culprits: loose torque converter bolts, cracked flywheel, broken bushing in transfer case, or a loose exhaust pipe. If the flywheel is cracked or the bolts are loose, would the noise happen all the time? Which transfer case bushings are prone to this type of failure - is it inside the case itself, or would it be where the case mounts to the frame? Unfortunately, I have a broken leg, so getting under there to check things out is rather difficult for the time being...

My "Part-time" dash indicator does not illuminate, although 4WD engages and disengages properly. Should this light come on for a few seconds when you start the engine, like the rest of the lights on the dash do? I'm trying to determine whether the bulb is bad, or if there is a more serious problem. The Haynes manual says you have to pull the steering wheel in order to get the gauge cluster out - is it indeed possible to do so without removing the steering wheel (and airbag)?

My CD player stopped playing CDs. It will accept a CD, make some grinding noises, then spit it back out and display "ERR". Is there a fix for this, or does it just need to be replaced with a new(er) one?

The gas guage has been acting up lately. Sometimes it stays at empty (with a full tank), sometimes it swings back and forth from empty to the correct level, and sometimes it acts perfectly normal. Is the sender bad, or would it be the guage itself?

Thanks in advance for any help. I've learned a lot by reading this board, and I hope to contribute whenever I can.

Kevin[addsig]

first of all, welcome aboard! stick around you'll learn lots...

oof those are some tough questions... looks like you've got your hands full. if you do a search through these forums you'll find a bunch of these topics covered... like rattles at idle, gas guage inaccuracies, etc...

what cd player do you have? is it factory or aftermarket?[addsig]

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>what cd player do you have? is it factory or aftermarket?</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks. It's the original factory CD player/casette combo, non-Infinity.[addsig]

Back