Parking Brake

koolray

I have a 99 Grand Cherokee and my parking brake isn't working. I think it just need tightening. Can anybody tell me where to start?
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Hi there "koolray"---

The parking brake adjustments are made under the Jeep itself.

Easiest thing to do is to follow the p-brake cables from the rear wheels,

and there will be an adjuster where the two cables meet.

Welcome to the board!!

--Neal [addsig]

Thanks, Neal, greatly appreciated. Hopefully I can do the job without getting a mechanic to ripe me off!!

Take care!!![addsig]

if you haven't replaced your rear brake pads/shoes recently, i'd suggest doing that BEFORE adjusting the parking break. you may not even need to adjust it if you replace the pads... i know my pads are pretty worn down.[addsig]

Dingus:

Would new brake pads, increase the chances of my parking brake working better? I hardly used my parking brake in the past and when I went for state inspection they said it wasn't working. This is the only thing keeping me from passing. Would the connector in the middle adjust with the square part? Let me know.

Also could it have come undone up by the handle? If so, how do I take the handle apart?[addsig]

of course new pads will help! the parking brake pulls on a cable that pulls the pads against the rear brake drum (basically) and if you get new pads they'll have more meat on them, and the cable won't need to pull so hard/tight to get them to lock against the drum...[addsig]

Back