2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport

angelanmu

Hello Everyone
I am nicdavis21 wife actually, everything that he described to you before, sure has happened.
I have the new steerling stabilizer on, and like one of you said, it seemed to have masked the problem slightly, the shaking wasnt as fierce. It is now about day 5 since the new stabilizer is on and its still making the shake in the steerling wheel and just my front tires are shaking. My only other guess is that its the spider gears. This is so frustrating having this "new" vehicle. I have taken it to a mechanic and they cant figure it out either. I have put so much money into this damn vehicle. Any other suggestions? I am confused as to why it only does the shakeing of the tires only sometimes?? and not all times... its embaressing and frustrating.... HELP:oops:

Does it still vibrate if you put the car in nuetral when it is acting up? When you turn does the wheel pull back and forth?

Thanks for the response. I actually just got my car back AGAIN from a different car shop. They said the exact same thing... we dont see anything wrong...... ahhhhhhhhhh its so frustrating. I tried what you were talking about last night on my way home from work..... this problem only happens some of the time, usually when i go down the street and make a sharp right turn and even it out it starts... it did last night, I put it into neutral and it still stayed shaking... so thats not it. I guess I just have to live with it until something eventually jusyt breaks in half?

Thanks for the response. I actually just got my car back AGAIN from a different car shop. They said the exact same thing... we dont see anything wrong...... ahhhhhhhhhh its so frustrating. I tried what you were talking about last night on my way home from work..... this problem only happens some of the time, usually when i go down the street and make a sharp right turn and even it out it starts... it did last night, I put it into neutral and it still stayed shaking... so thats not it. I guess I just have to live with it until something eventually jusyt breaks in half?

Did he ever try switching the front tires to the rear?

I don't recall the thread by nicdavis21, maybe you could post a link?

If this happens when hitting a bump or bumpy road, and doesn't stop until you stop or come close to stopping, then the problem you're describing is commonly referred to as "Death Wobble".

It is commonly a problem with alignment (especially if it has a suspension lift), but could be many other things. A close second most common would be a worn track bar bushing.

no, the shake does not happen when i hit a bump, just going down a smooth road, and it only starts when i make a left or right turn, just on a simple street, nothing rough about the turn really? The weird part is once I put my foot on the brake, it stops completly.

we also havent tried switching the tires, I know I dont know a lot about vehicles, but this shake that im describing can be pretty fierce, I feel it in my steering wheel and the gas pedal... it feels like its coming from the front end...

this is my husbands post

I have a 2000 jeep cherokee with no mods. It has 62,000 miles, and is in mint condition. We just had new u joints, pads, and rotors put in 1 month ago. Now it has developed this random shake in the front end that only occurs randomly in low (0-30 miles an hour) speeds that I have noticed. The steering wheel shakes and there is a noise like something is binding up, when this shaking is going on and you apply pressure to the brake it stops, when you release the presure off the brake it continues all the way until you stop. Every time I get a mechanic in the vehicle it doesn't occur. It does this whether you are in neutral or drive as long as the wheels are rolling, when you are going straight or turning, and it only does it randomly. Alot of the archives speak of a steering stabilizer does this sound like a symptom of that? We have inspected the wheels,rotors, u joints, calipers and everything looks good. we also took of the front drive shaft off and drove aroundin just 2 wheel drive, after circling the neighborhood a dozen times it started to do it again. Any sugestions?????

this may sound strange, but it is not uncommon to get "bad" rotors when bought new. Did this problems exist with the old rotors? If not, try and put the old rotors back on (if you still have them) and see if that changes anything. Also check and make sure the caliper sliders are lubricated, you should be able to move the caliper in and out without resistance if it is binding up then it maybe overheating the rotor.

Yea, could check your alignment in your tires.
Mine would shake pretty fierce when I had my old tires on the front then I had a flat on a trail trying to get a friend out and put on the spare hell tire and then got a new one and it has gone away. 60 percent of the time from what i've noticed its the tires that are not aligned.

Back