Fuel Pump 93' Jeep Grand Cherokee

LisaB

My husband bought a used 93' Grand Cherokee in May, 3 days later the fuel pump went. The dealer replaced it for us at no charge. About a month ago, he started having problems with it starting. At first you would have to turn the key to the on position and wait about 30 seconds and then start it, it would crank but not fire. Now it is up to 15-20 minutes and while waiting, there is clicking coming from the engine and ultimately you can hear it engage the pump and then you can start it. It seems to be that the longer it is off, the longer it takes to start, so almost 20 minutes in the AM and then 5-10 if you just run in to a store for a few minutes. He insists it is not the fuel pump and has replaced the relay and cleaned all the connections, also has checked the battery...I took it to a Jeep dealer today and the guy said he thinks it's a fuel pump and scheduled me Saturday for a diganosis and repair. What do you guys think? Any opinions would be appreciated. Is the fuel pump going to be an on-going repair? My husband could do it himself but he doesn't have access to a lift to drop the tank plus I thought getting the warranty from a dealer on the part would be a good idea. HELP! Thanks!
image-missing.png
[addsig]

If the dealer says it's the fuel pump, have them warranty it. Not worth the hassle of dropping the tank yourselves.

Sounds like the pump if you can hear it begin pumping right before you start the engine.[addsig]

Thanks Bounty Hunter. We're taking it to the shop tomorrow. The more my husband explains it to me, the more I think it's electrical, maybe the ECU or something. Because when it finally gets power, it works so I think there is a problem sending the message to the pump for some reason. Maybe something simple like a loose contact. I'll post when we find out. Thanks again!
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Well, the dealer hooked it up to the computer and our ECM is bad SO, $220 later (just for the part) and we should be on the road. The part doesn't come in until Tuesday, though. They tested the fuel pump and it was fine. Mystery solved. I will definitely keep checking and reading this board, though I probably don't have much to offer in the way of answers.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Back