Automatic build up?

Psomion

I have an auto trans in my 96 4.0 (i got the jeep after a motorcycle accident with a deer so i had to get auto at the time) and after maybe a few too many hard hits i can tell its starting to go. Is there any mild performance stuff for these or a easy swap to a stronger auto transmission? i don't really feel like converting to manual.

The three speed auto is pretty rugged beast but it has some limitations (I.E. 3 speed/ too big of a ratio between gears and the lack of a good over drive) There are several HP rebuild kits that strengthen the nv3550 and the NP231 transfer case or there are a variable amount of junkyard automatic transmissions to put in you jeep, a quick stop at Novak Adapters should give you an idea if you want to shoe horn a new one or rebuild your own.

Should be, which is a very strong 4spd auto. I've seen very few problems with them, and used ones are available cheaply. I had a hard time selling one because the market isn't there, they just don't go bad often. I'd install a stock replacement and not worry about modifying anything relating the AW4 in an XJ.

Sounds good to me! Glad to know its a solid trans.. I was worried it fell in line with some other chrysler mid 90s transaxles for quality. I think maybe i'll lay off the smokey burnouts until i have a spare sitting in my garage ready to go (-=

Jeep put the AW4 in Cherokees throughout the 90's. It's a strong, reliable transmission.

The only thing I never liked about the one I had in my 2000 XJ was the shifter having 1-2 as a selection instead of being able to use 1st gear by itself. That sucked going down steep hills.

Should be, which is a very strong 4spd auto. I've seen very few problems with them, and used ones are available cheaply. I had a hard time selling one because the market isn't there, they just don't go bad often. I'd install a stock replacement and not worry about modifying anything relating the AW4 in an XJ.

that sounds like a good plan. I know a wrecking yard that has about 5 of them in XJ's now and they are pretty cheap to buy.

AW4's are tough transmissions. My friend beats his AW4 trans daily, and has never had an issue. When I worked in auto salvage we hardly ever got a call for an AW4. We got a ton of calls for 42RE's, lol! The only transmissions tougher than an AW4 are TH350's, and TH400's, both are very hard to kill transmissions.

Back