a ticking into a knocking

floyd5194

Hey all you jeep guys, I have a 1997 Grand Cherokee that just tripped 197,000 miles and now has a constant ticking that increases with engine speed but now has now turned into a knocking sound. It still idles, runs, accellerates and drives perfect. I had it check out by a well known shop and was told that I need a new motor that the knocking is coming from the bottom end. Any ideas before I invest into a new motor?

Last edited:

UPDATE: The knocking sound was caused by a piston. My wife had her brother check it out and he found that one of the pistons had broken the entire side off at a angle that ran from the connecting rod up through the oil screen and just millimeters under the rings. The rings both survived undamaged as well as the cylinder wall. I guess i was lucky in a way.:givemebeer:

What size motor was it? and are you overhauling the motor or replacing it?
Hello, it is a 4.0 and he went ahead and overhauled it. My wife is currently driving it and told me it runs great with no noise. I unfortunately won't be able to drive it for awhile because i am currently deployed to Kuwait so she keeps me informed on it.

Glad to hear the overhaul is working out and it's running great! I have 115,000 on my 4.0 and look forward to several more trouble free years.

Hope everything is going well in Kuwait, and keep safe.

Thank you very much. I'm sure that you should be able to enjoy it years from now. After i bought mine in 1999 with a little over 72,000 miles on it nothing else I have driven is the same. When mine finally bites the dust odds are i will probably get another one. once again thanks

Back