A new Jeep Owner-A few Questions

WastedTrails

First of all---sorry if this is in the wrong forum, I took a guess and thought my questions would fit best here.
image-missing.png

I was hoping that all of you guys out there could help me with a few questions I have about my 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo TSI. I just turned 16, and I was able to buy the vehicle through an auction. It's in excellent condition, but regardless I still have a few issues....

-How do I know if my Jeep has an Infinity Sound System?

-My Jeep makes a quiet "ticking" noise when running, although one of my friends said that most Jeeps do it and it's not a problem. What is it then, or is he telling me BS?

-My brakes squeak nearly every time I use them and in all weather conditions, and yet the mechanic told me the brakes are in good condition. Is this anything to be considered about?

Thanks for your input all, I look forward to your responses. I'm proud to be a Jeep owner!
image-missing.png
[addsig]

that ticking could be your lifters...had an oil change recently?[addsig]

although most jeeps DO tick, you can dampen the sound by using "lucas oil stabilizer" in your oil next time you change it. the best way to tell which sound system CAME in your jeep would be to go to the dealer and have them run the serial number. you never know if someone swapped different speakers in.[addsig]

ticking is okay, clanking i bad, crunching is worse. A straight six has a what

appears to be a ticking sound between stokes. listen closely to a four.

Infinity speakers are overrated, they sound like the rest with twice the price.

Hate to tell you this but either you or the person that last had it was hard on

the brakes and your indicators are barely touching, not enough to make

them squeal all the time, just during braking.[addsig]

The infinity sound system says Infinity on the face of the cd, the speakers, etc. You'll know.[addsig]

My jeep ticked...i just used a little heavier oil and you can barely hear it........I also have a friend with a 2001 wrangler with 29000 and his ticks too.....to me it is a common jeep sound[addsig]

yeah... to me, jeeps are not jeeps unless:

-they make racket at idle

-they leak oil

image-missing.png
[addsig]

Do your brakes sound the worst when coming out of a full stop and slowly letting off the brake?[addsig]

Back