Strong gas smell on a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee

AFWakko

I am experiencing a very strong gas smell when the car is idling, at least thats when i can smell it. Took it to a shop and they found no fluid leaks. Any help would be appreciated. Feel free to ask more questions. Thank you!

Any idea where the shop looked? Did they even look at your Grand Cherokee? I'd start with a visual inspection. Allow the car to idle for a few minutes, then shut it off. Follow the fuel lines from the gas tank toward the engine, and look for any puddle or drips of fluid (may or may not be fuel, but make note of it's location). USE A FLASHLIGHT or L.E.D. FLASHLIGHT! Working with an exposed glass light bulb has the potential to break and ignite gasoline vapors. You may have to repeat the idle/shutdown process a few times if you don't find a leak right away. Gasoline vapors do evaporate quickly in warm/hot environments, which means any small puddle or drips may only be present for a short time.

Best of luck to you. We're here to help, and feel free to ask questions. Welcome to Jeepz!

I have a 94 wrangler YJ, i had the same problem took it to a shop souldnt fine it. i got under it an followed the fuel lines. well come to find our the line were dry rotted. The line that goes to the tank was shot. The next day i went out i had a puddle of gas well i started it an it was blowin fuel. The main fuel line had a crack in it. So i would get under there an run the fuel lines for cracks/ or dry rot hoses.

Back