jeep wont start in cold maybe??

thissucks1377

i have a 2000 jeep cherokee and ive had it for almost 2 years. it has always started even all last winter i had no problems. i didnt drive my car for two days and it has been really cold i went to start it and it wouldnt it sounds like it wants to but it just wont!!! its not the battery cause everything works and i tried to get a jump but that didnt work either when i go to start my car if i hit the gas it will start but it wont stay idle as soon as i take my foot off the gas my car goes dead i really dont want to take it anywhere cause im always fighting with this jeep ive heard from a few people i should try using dry gas??? do you think this is my problem?? HELP PLEASE

How cold is cold? Below freezing, or like 50 degrees?

So, you can get it to run using the gas pedal, but it won't idle... Possibly a clogged fuel filter or injector? Is your check engine light on (meaning is it giving you any error codes)?

Terry

its pretty cold like 30 outside. it has been cold like that before though and my car sat there a day and still started. since my car starts when i hit the gas would it damage my car if i drove it instead of getting it towed???

I had the same thing happen on my 00 XJ back in the winter of 00/01. Didn't have much fuel in the tank, really cold. It would start and die. Start and hold the gas and it would idle at higher RPM, but take your foot off the gas and it would die. I barely knew how to change my oil at the time. I just held the gas down and let it warm up and once it did, I took my foot off the gas and it idled fine. Never happened again.

Back