1998 Grand Cherokee 5.2l knocking/rattle

idrthrbfishing

I have a 1998 grand cherokee with 93,000 miles 5.2l last week I hit a puddle and stalled the engine. (ok it wasn't exactly a puddle- more like a rain pond full of mud but mostly water). It started right back up with out any problems exept a knocking in the engine compartment. I cannot feel it in the truck on drive train, only hear it, it sounds like something hitting the fan. I can find nothing out of place, foriegn or loose to make noise. The check engine light cme on about 20 miles later- (the key thing does not seem to work). I have normal temp and oil pressure. normal gas milage and the engine runs just as before, smooth and fast without any hesitation. The knock is related to engine speed and sound the same in/out of gear moving or not. I'm assuming I may have got a little water in the intake causing it to stall. Any help with the key code retrival or ideas to look at ?

A little more info from what I looked at today. the noise seems to be coming from the bottom of the engine most noticable from just behind the drivers door about 3 ft away. Sound metal in nature or a very loud soliniod going on/off. There is no noise coming from either valve cover which would indicate a valve tap. no noise in the exhaust. You can hear a tap from the intake manifold but it sounds like the injectors tapping away-- normal. Under the truck it seems to be loudest near the bell housing. transmission only has 8000 miles on it. still cant seem to get the engine code maybe tommorrow I'll go to advanced auto and see if they will put the scanner on it.
any sugestions whould be apprieciated.
thanks

Back