Need Help Deciding to take a 1975 Jeep Wagoneer 401 V8

rayg0n

I have been given the opportunity to acquire a 1975 Jeep Wagoneer (401 V8) automatic. It was a friend's relatives who worked on cars and up until 2000.It ran but needed just a master cylinder. Its been sitting for 10 years outside and there is some rust along the outside body as well as inside. Inside, the dash looks good, but above on the inside roof (failed to get a picture) there is no fabric for the roof, and all along the roof front to back are all kinds of rust spots. I supplied the pictures I have.

Since I did some minor repair work on their car, they figured this would be a good car for me to work on and restore. Im an aspiring "home mechanic" and am wanting to learn more about cars. I've done things like tune ups (spark plugs, wires), radiators, alternators, starters, ignitions, oil, transmission filter and pan, nothing major, ive never rebuilt an engine, or torn down a car, so Im not sure if im over my head. I have a friend who is into cars and he says this will be the perfect car for me to learn on. Wants to turn it into a rock crawler. What I would like to do is restore this car to some degree of drivability as a semi-quasi daily driver. I would like to be able to use it haul cargo, yet be somewhat nice..not like immaculate, but at least no rust. I want to take off the paint on the car and just primer and seal it. I would want the interior to look nice. But most of all structrual integrity. The doors are not really intact. rust seemed to rot through the doors a little as I can jiggle and see the inside part of the door come off..water logged in the doors. So theres the description of it. Any advise if this is a wise undertaking or not would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• grill1.jpg
    grill1.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 520
  • inside.jpg
    inside.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 3,829
  • right side.jpg
    right side.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 470
  • side1.jpg
    side1.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 5,506
  • under hood.jpg
    under hood.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 1,070

Welcome to the Z.

Looks like a decent and straight rig, I'd take it in a heartbeat.

That's a pretty sweet ride. If you're looking to learn about cars you've picked a nice starting place with that wagoneer.

My suggestion would be to put as little money into it as possible until you get a feel for it, and can determine how rusted it is - since you're in CA, I doubt it's too bad. Just try to get it running and on the street before you worry about interiors and new paint jobs.

Scoop it up quick before someone else does!

As Tom Peterson would say... "free is a very good price!"

Definitely needs some tlc. Only problem could be the age. 75 and newer has to pass smog forever more. But a 401, if it runs, could be very good for a "getaway" car.

Back