96 gnd cherokee check eng. light on can't pass smog

jasrevalee

has any one had a problem with a check eng. light on and am getting a
code 1391 misfire. I replaced the pickup coil & the crank sensor, it did no good. :?|
If any one knows of a good repair shop. I am in California area close to los angeles.

thanks, Jason

p.s.4.o in-line 6c

Last edited:

After googling and reading a bit, it sounds like you may need to trace the wires to your crank sensor. Have you done that??? Bare/broken wire somewhere??? 'Bout my only help..........good luck!

Here are the code meanings (although it sounds like you already knew the code.)
http://www.jeepz.com/forum/reference/21652-chrysler-engine-codes-late-1990s-up.html

The error code says that it could also be the cam sensor. I grabbed these install directions from a web search:

camshaft position sensor
The camshaft position sensor is located in the distributor.

REMOVAL
Distributor removal is not necessary to remove camshaft position sensor.

1. Disconnect negative cable from battery.
2. Remove distributor cap from distributor (two screws).
3. Disconnect camshaft position sensor wiring harness from main engine wiring harness.
4. Remove distributor rotor from distributor shaft.
5. Lift the camshaft position sensor assembly from the distributor housing. INSTALLATION

1. Install camshaft position sensor to distributor. Align sensor into notch on distributor housing.
2. Connect wiring harness.
3. Install rotor.
4. Install distributor cap. Tighten mounting screws.

crankshaft position sensor
The crankshaft position sensor is mounted to the transmission bell housing at the left/rear side of the engine block. The sensor is adjustable and is attached with one bolt. A wire shield/router is attached to the sensor.

REMOVAL

1. Disconnect sensor pigtail harness (3-way connector) from main engine wiring harness. This connection is made near rear of distributor.
2. Remove sensor mounting bolt.
3. Remove wire shield and sensor.

INSTALLATION
With automatic transmission: New replacement sensors will be equipped with a paper spacer glued to bottom of sensor. If installing (returning) a used sensor to vehicle, a new paper spacer must be installed to bottom of sensor. This spacer will be ground off the first time engine is started. If spacer is not used, sensor will be broken the first time engine is started.

1. New Sensors: Be sure paper spacer is installed to bottom of sensor. If not, obtain spacer PN05252229 .
2. Used Sensors: Clean bottom of sensor and install spacer PN05252229 .
3. Install sensor into transmission bellhousing hole.
4. Position sensor wire shield to sensor.
5. Push sensor against flywheel/drive plate. With sensor pushed against flywheel/drive plate, tighten mounting bolt to 7 N.m (60 in. lbs.) torque.
6. Route sensor wiring harness into wire shield.
7. Connect sensor pigtail harness electrical connector to main wiring harness.

If you've replaced the Crank Pos. Sensor, cleared the code, and still have a problem, I'd suspect the Camshaft Pos. Sensor in the distributor.

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

Back