4low grinds all nasty...wont engage!!!!

astars921

i have an 87 XJ with a NP231 transfer case, recently I'm unable to shift into 4 low. The 4 HI works fine... I've tried manualy disconnnecting the linkage and im still having this problem. When i attemt to engage 4 low it makes a loud klunking noise followed by this nasty grinding sound. Im just wondering if it could be the chain slipping... Greatly appreciate it is anyone can help!!

Likely wear on the shift fork pads, and maybe wear on the hard parts inside the case.

Welcome to the Z. Take it apart and, if you need to replace any worn parts, I've got a bunch of 231 parts.

thanks man is it very hard to instal new shift forks or the pads i have never really messed with t cases

thanks again for ur help

Easy to do, if you have a pair of lockring pliers. They're the duckbill type pliers to remove the lockrings from the mainshaft.

ok maybe one more i have a 6.5 inch lift and 37x12.50x15 tires now they rub so i cut just the fender out and it is rubbing the coil tower how can i fix that i know it is unibody so i dont want to cut it

Another option if you haven't yet done the work......

You can get them from pick & pull for way cheap and "Most" transfer cases have less than 3 hours of use in the life of the vehicle, many have Never been engaged. If the undercarrige is clean (no dents or scrapes) you can feel pretty comfortable with useing it as is, replace the seals and run it, should be under $200 total, take it to a shop and it will be $1500.

I think the set of pads was under $10 last time I bought them.

I'd start a new thread for the other question.

Back