different wobble?

pocono jeep

i was reading the past posts about the death wobble.

i dont thiink i ever saw anything about this one.

when driving, the truck isnt too bad but when i am coming to a stop, the truck just woblles to ****. i know i need rear wheel bearings, but this is beyond that i think. i mean everything shakes.

thanks in advance

First off, with what year and model vehicle are you having this problem with? Have you checked your drive shaft(s) for loose u-joints/play? Where does the shaking originate... front or back? Feed us more information so we can better help you.

By "coming to a stop" do you mean when braking??? Warped rotors and/or out-of-round drums comes to mind.

sorry about that

its a 1994 grand cherokee limited

no not when braking, more like when i let off the gas and let it come to a stop.

while i have my foot on the gas its ok, but once i let go thats it. all shake. i am not sure where its coming from, but if i had to guess i would say the front.

sorry about that

its a 1994 grand cherokee limited

no not when braking, more like when i let off the gas and let it come to a stop.

while i have my foot on the gas its ok, but once i let go thats it. all shake. i am not sure where its coming from, but if i had to guess i would say the front.

I'd take dandoc's advice and check my ujoints. They maybe a shakin' once they're not under load (i.e.: foot off the gas). Do you have any noises??

Most likely the CV joint on the front driveshaft, get it fixed or remove the shaft before it takes out the entire transfer case. Fixed many a transfer case taken out by a bad front shaft.

Is this a full-time 4wd ZJ?

i was thinking the u-joints before i posted my first post and i am not sure about that answer. because i have another ZJ that i am parting out. so i took the driveshaft out of the other one and same problem. now granted that both u-joints could be bad, but the thing that gets me is that its a different front axle than stock, because the previous owner hit a big rock and it bent the front axle mounting point, so one wheel was alittle farther back than the other one. but the truck was driveable and it didnt rattle your teeth like it does now.

now if i removed the front driveshaft, its driveable? there is no fluid that will drip out? i know cover the opening to keep dirt out, but i cant see how it would be driveable without that front driveshaft in. what is it a torque split, like 25% to the front wheels and 75% to the rear?

yeah this is a full-time 4WD 5.2 V8

the truck will also seem make a loud clunk noise if it is being turned too hard or too much pressure on the front axle. thats what it seems like to me. but it will also make a clunk if its parked and not moving but not too loud, more like the truck settling.

beleive it or not i was a mechanic for years and sadly we never had 4wd vehicles, so this is a new experience to me. i was in jersey, where you dont NEED 4wd.

thank you guys for your help, i really do appreciate it.

also, i have stripped lugnuts on the front still and i cant get the tires off. now they are smaller tires in the front. smaller size-wall and smaller tread width. they are like the tires that come on a 6-cyl 2wd pickup or something like that. whereas the rear are my better off road tires. anyone think thats a factor? now they maybe out of balance, etc. but that doesnt explain why it shakes going from about 20 going down to zero, but it doesnt shake bad when driving 25+ right?

also anyone have any suggestions on how to get those wheels off. i dont care if it breaks the stud or not, thats an easy fix. they are stripped and i dont have those sockets. i just need to break them off.

also, i have stripped lugnuts on the front still and i cant get the tires off. now they are smaller tires in the front. smaller size-wall and smaller tread width. they are like the tires that come on a 6-cyl 2wd pickup or something like that. whereas the rear are my better off road tires. anyone think thats a factor? now they maybe out of balance, etc. but that doesnt explain why it shakes going from about 20 going down to zero, but it doesnt shake bad when driving 25+ right?

also anyone have any suggestions on how to get those wheels off. i dont care if it breaks the stud or not, thats an easy fix. they are stripped and i dont have those sockets. i just need to break them off.

I had the problem of two lugnuts frozen to their stud on the same wheel. The first one I drilled off; on the second one I used a cold chisel to remove. One cold chisel was 1/2" wide, the other was about an inch wide. Either way, it took a good amount of time and effort to remove the lugnuts (and one trip to the hospital). I had to replace both studs by the time it was all over with.

An out of balance wheel/tire can cause a lot of shaking in the vehicle. Many Jeepers have experienced that when mud became lodged in the backside of their wheel, dried and hardened, and ultimately caused the inbalance. After the dirt was removed and the wheel cleaned, the problem disappeared.

Big problem, you've got a full-time 4wd rig with different size tires front and rear. This is going to grenade your transfer case, which has already started with the bangs and vibrations.

Check the round tag on the back of your transfer case, should be a np249j model transfer case. These transfer cases have a viscous coupling inside that commonly goes bad.

I'd recommend swapping in a NP231 or NP242 transfer case that has the 2wd option. Either transfer case will bolt in if you use the input shaft from your 249. If you were close, I could do the work for you.

You can not run without the front driveshaft on your fulltime 4wd rig.

well that just figures

i have only ran it like this for about 200 miles, can thaat be enough to caus major issues?

will that cause the vibrations? because it has been like that since the new axle was put in. the transfer case was good before all the probs.

let me see what i can do about this, thanks and i appreciate everyones help it is coming in handy

it turns out the front differential was destroyed

the ring gear, pinion, crush joint all mangled

now i need to rebuild the whole front differential.

any suggestions?

Back