just bought a 88 cherokee

.........for 1200 i think it was a steal even with the small projects :)

I don't think you mentioned earlier what you paid! :shock::shock: You're right, that was a steal!!!! Good luck gettin' 'er up to snuff! You've come to the right place.

I got some black 'rust eliminator' paint or something from advance auto, guess I'll use that in the rear. Tomorrow we're running up to the junkyard and hopefully getting the little things it needs. How hard is taking off the harmonic balancer?

Not hard, but you'll want to rent the balancer puller from the auto parts store.

will do. I'll update you guys on how the trip goes. Going to bleed the cooling system before we head up there, hopefully it doesn't overheat on the way there :(

bled the cooling system, really easy to do, it took alot of distilled to fill it back up after opening that screw. Hopefully that helps out alot. Also pulled up the rear carpet and it wasn't pretty, there were actual holes through the rusted metal in a few places. How would one go about patching something like that up?

Last edited:

if you put all the rust spots together it makes up half of the entire back of the car if not more and at least two of the holes are big enough i can put my fist in them i think getting sheet medal and replacing the whole back floor is a good idea then there is no risk of missing a spot and allowing it to spread andy ^ thinks we should spray some rust stuff on it and patch where it is weak what do you all think?

Last edited:
went to a junkyard today. They had alot of cherokee sports, none of them had the same type of overflow so I didn't get that, or a harmonic balancer, trackbar, or a fan shroud, all the things I really wanted to get :( but we got other little things it needed. I tried taking the trackbar off, but I couldn't get the part with the bushing off so I was going to remove the whole bracket it was connected to, but the bolts were a strange size (or I'm an idiot) and couldn't get it completely off. Is there a way to just unhook the part with the bushing?

ah new weather striping though yay, after the one piece (vertical)on the passenger side door there will be no more leaks. (hope you liked dinner)

To get the upper end of the trackbar off, remove the cotter pin and nut. Soaking with PB Blaster may help. Then strike the side of the bracket with a BFH where the stud on the end of the trackbar goes through, this will temporarily egg-shape the hole and break the trackbar loose. This stud is tapered the same as a tierod end which means taking it apart is as much a pain as working on steering.

Ordered a new instrument cluster and got everything else it needs minus the trackbar and harmonic balancer and its running great, stop and go the other day and it hardly went above 2 second bar. I made a mold for a fiberglass shroud but its gonna look so bad lol. When I get a damn break from work we're gonna get that rear fixed and change out fluids, sparks plugs and it'll be good to go :D

the clunk is from the trackbar? Its coming from the right front wheel

went to bleed the brakes today. The bleeder screws are rusted in there and I ended up breaking off part of the nipple. I emptied the master cylinder before that and I tried just filling it up with new fluid and it feels the same...:(

I have a feeling I might get back the money I've put into this car. Once we get rid of the rust in the rear, we can recarpet it (pepboys sells lenghts of carpet that matches the color really well) and refinish the plastic pieces. Also added some nice driving lights:

jeep004-2.jpg

New bushings will not fix the worn out tierod end of the front trackbar. Many jeepers remove oem trackbars for an adjustable unit, you can pick them up used in good shape.

Back