2000 Jeep Cherokee: A few questions

adamjaskie

I have a 2000 Jeep Cherokee, with the I-6, and the auto transmission. It has 4wd, but not the full time one. I just got it, so I have a few questions. First, I have looked under the hood, but cannot find the spark plugs. Are they under a cover or something? I see the fuel injectors, along the top of the intake manifold, but I cannot find the spark plugs. Also, the AC pump seems to cylcle on and off when the heater is on "Defrost" mode. Is this normal? I would assume that it is, but I have never seen this on another vehicle. I have not done any mods yet, but was thinking of doing some. I heard something about removing an "intake resonator" to get a slightly better flowing intake. Where is this resonator? Is it part of the box the air filter is in? If so, is it before the filter, or is it between the filter and the engine? Also, is there anything else I should do, maintainence wise, now? We bought it used, but from a Jeep dealer, so it should have everything up to date, right? It is a "Jeep Certified Used Car" or whatever that means. Finally, is there anything special I should know about this vehicle/engine that would make it different from most cars as far as mainainence goes? Thanks for any help.[addsig]

spark plugs are on the opposite side of the intake manifold. if you want a cheap mod for the airbox, i'd just get a k&n filter and cut the bottom of the airbox out. be conscious about water and mud getting in too...[addsig]

Well, I found some more out about the 2000 XJ 4.0.

It has what is called a "Distributorless Coil-on-plug Ignition." Seems there are individual coils for each plug inside a rail that goes over the spark plugs??? Seems unnescisarily complex to me, prone to failiure from vibration and whatnot. Anyone have experience witth trhis stuff?[addsig]

Hmm, I was looking around under the XJ today, noticed a small wiring harness hanging down right behind the front air dam, in the centre. It has two wires, and a plug at the end. I can't figure out what it is for. Anyone know? I do not have factory fog lights, so is it something related to those? I.e. they run the wire for them, but no switch and no lights, unless you order them? I fried my volt/ohm meter (accidentally had it on ohms rather than volts and tested a car battery, smoke ensued) so I don't know if a current is flowing through. I would just hook up a little light bulb to two wires, except that I dont have one laying around that will handle 12v.[addsig]

The defrost uses the A/C, so it is normal for it to be cycling, which is kind of a pain, since it kills the gas mileage, and seems kinda ridiculous driving in the middle of winter with the heat up, the defrost on, and the A/C working. But yeah, it's normal...

You're right about the "Distributorless Coil-on-plug Ignition", the plugs are down in there somewhere. There haven't been any problems that you mentioned with the new design, it's actually less prone to water fouling and other problems.

I wouldn't worry about the plug you found, DC uses the same wiring harness so it's probably for an option not found on your XJ.

Welcome, to both of you, to the jeepz.com forums. Great jeepers around here, stick around and you'll find that out.

Careful about asking too many questions in one post or thread, it Kornfuzes things. Feel free to start a new thread for a different question. If you need anything, ask.

Re: roll protection

I noticed that, all the old posts picked up the little [addsig] tag when we switched to the new forum software.

Back