Remote programming

rokes

planning on buying a key remote since i never got one with my jeep , but am wondering if anyone here knows how to program it :?|tried searching for instructions to do it with no luck . the ones i seen on ebay don't come with instructions , like the other ones for different vehicles do . bought some before for other vehicles that came with instructions , but none are available for Jeeps .

I was under the impression that they were not programmable. If you figure it out, please post back here.

I was under the impression that they were not programmable. If you figure it out, please post back here.
alright , just tried searching again and came accross these instructions for remote programming , i hope this helps the rest of you who were trying to find answers to the same question ;)

Up to 4 transmitters can be programmed into the receiver at any given time.

All transmitters to be used on a vehicle must be programmed during this procedure.

(1) Open the driver’s door and leave it open during the programming process.

(2) Move the mechanical door lock lever on the driver’s door to the LOCK position.

(3) Insert the ignition key and turn it to the RUN position. (Do not start the vehicle.)

(4) After turning the ignition key to the Run position aim the transmitter at the receiver and press the LOCK (right) button for 5 seconds. Once the receiver accepts the programming the door will unlock.

(5) If additional transmitters are to be used on the vehicle each must be programmed during the programming sequence. (Up to 4 transmitters can be programmed to a vehicle) To program additional transmitters: Return the mechanical door lock lever on the driver’s door to the LOCK position and aim the next transmitter at the receiver and press the LOCK (right) button for 5 seconds. Again when the receiver accepts the programming the door will unlock. Repeat step 5 until all transmitters have been programmed.

(6) When all transmitters have been programmed to the receiver, the ignition must be turned off and back on within 20 seconds after programming the last transmitter. When this is done, only the transmitters that were programmed to the vehicle during this procedure will operate the locks.

Last edited:
sweeeeeeeet!!!!! i'd been wondering about this...

a question, since i'm a moron when it comes to the luxuries (still haven't quite figured my seats out): are there universal remotes available, or do i have to go thru jeep-or-chrysler???

sweeeeeeeet!!!!! i'd been wondering about this...

a question, since i'm a moron when it comes to the luxuries (still haven't quite figured my seats out): are there universal remotes available, or do i have to go thru jeep-or-chrysler???
that i'm not sure about , i'm new to all this jeep stuff :?|
Did this work for you personally?
actually , i hadn't had a chance to try it out until today , apparently , it said it would work on jeep grand cherokee's , but it didn't work for mines :(
Chris, what type of jeep do you have?
a 98 grand cherokee :D

so i apologize for any inconvenience's this information caused if any , figured it was worth a shot . hopefully it works for someone else , but didn't work for mines . anybody know if there's a different programming to do for a 98 grand cherokee :?|???

Chris, to your knowlege,do you know if your GC is Equipped with a Remote Keyless entry Module?

Chris, to your knowlege,do you know if your GC is Equipped with a Remote Keyless entry Module?
i'm not even sure now that you mentioned it :?|. my buddy has the exact same jeep and he uses a remote on his , and my other buddy has a 96 grand cherokee as well , he doesn't use his remote at all , so he ended up giving me his , but it worked on his car before i tried to program it into mines , after i tried programming it to mines and it didn't work , i tried it again on my buddies one which the remote used to work on , and now it doesn't . so i know it's not linked to his anymore , i just can't get it to connect to mines . the dome the intstructions are talking about is the little black dome on the dashboard about a foot away from the anti theft light right ??? i'm assuming so .

i forgot to mention , that it's a Canadian model if that means anything :?| besides it being in Kilometers instead of miles :roll:

also , how do i find out if it has the module for use with a keyless remote ?? sorry for all these questions , i don't have a manual for it :(

Back