98 jeep won't start,will start,won't start,will well you get it

Hi, new here glad to get to know you. I bought my son a 98 jeep cherokee sport about a year ago and every once in a while it would'nt turn over, now it is getting worse seems like the cold is contrubiting to it. battery good starter seems good I think it must be a switch and I would rather bypass it then buy a nother hope someone can help. Thanks Dain

Whenever mine start doing that the first thing I check is the brushes. They get worn and make iffy contact. Most starters need a little spin so the solenoid seats completely, without the spin you may or may not get the typical solenoid clack.
The starter brushes can also get oil soaked or coated in mud.
Whacking (moderately) with a hammer will sometimes help the brushes to seat and get you one mroe start, sometimes a jump and a little more juice helps.

sounds like the solenoid or the starter relay to me, usually problems with the starting motor itself occur more that just once in a while. good luck, john

It might be your neutral safety switch. alot of the time thaey get warn out. if this happens put the key in the ignition and then cycle it through a couple gears. try and start it the same thing happened to me.

the people above me are probly right to if your goin mudding alot your stuff can get caked with mud.

Back