8 1/4 swap

randy2kxj

sadly i have a dana 35 in the butt of my jeep. i want to get an 8 1/4 that would have come for the same year. i have found one but before i shell out the bones for it i want to know if anyone knows what it takes to swap a 35 for the 8 1/4. i know there is the issue with the abs and all. also the different drive shaft legnths. is there anything else i need to know or do?

Check the axle ends of the ebrake cables to make sure they're the same. You'll also need larger ubolts.

Check the axle ends of the ebrake cables to make sure they're the same. You'll also need larger ubolts.
Yep.
The e-brake cables should be the same if the jeep is a '97 or newer.
The newer 8.25 rears have 29spline shafts, so stay with those.
Earlier 8.25's had 27spline shafts.
(not sure what the transition year was- '96, I think- but for sure '97 & up is good)
You can use a 8.25 out of any '97 to '01 XJ. They are all the same. They are NOT equipped for ABS, but I didn't let that stop me! I hate ABS on an XJ anyway.
D35 models had ABS, 8.25 models did not.

As you & Bounty Hunter mentioned, that's about it.
Larger u-bolts, (3" gap) and it should bolt right in.
Snag the rear driveshaft from the donor jeep if it has the same t-case and trans as yours.
If it's lifted, a SYE & CV driveshaft conversion might be the way to go.
I just pulled the big fuse on my ABS and kissed it goodbye, but that's your choice on how to handle that...:D

Back