1996 Cherokee alternator problems

jayson

I have a 1996 Cherokee Sport with 4.0 straight six. I have disconnected and un-bolted the alternator but am un-able to get it out of the space that it is in. I have removed the front bracket also but still no luck. Should it come out from the bottom or top? Are there any other things that need to be removed to get it out? Should I remove the fan blade? I am stuck and need help???

Jayson

GENERATOR
WARNING: DISCONNECT NEGATIVE CABLE FROM BATTERY BEFORE REMOVING BATTERY OUTPUT WIRE FROM GENERATOR. FAILURE TO DO SO CAN RESULT IN INJURY.

Disconnect negative battery cable.
Remove generator drive belt. Refer toCooling System for procedure.
Raise and support vehicle.
Remove the rubber splash shield below the generator (if equipped)
Remove the generator pivot and mounting bolts Remove/Install Generator - Typical Position generator for access to wire connectors.
Remove nuts from harness holddown, battery terminal, ground terminal and 2 field terminals Remove/Install Generator Connectors - Typical Remove wire connectors.
Remove the generator.
Reverse removal procedures to install. Tighten generator hardware as follows:
Generator mounting bolt - All engines - 55 N·m (41 ft. lbs.)
Generator pivot bolt - All engines - 55 N·m (41 ft. lbs.)
Battery terminal nut - 8.5 N·m (75 in. lbs.)
Ground terminal nut - 8.5 N·m (75 in. lbs.)
Harness holddown nut - 8.5 N·m (75 in. lbs.)
Field terminal nuts - 2.8 N·m (25 in. lbs.)
CAUTION: Never force a belt over a pulley rim using a screwdriver. The synthetic fiber of the belt can be damaged.

CAUTION: When installing a serpentine accessory drive belt, the belt MUST be routed correctly. The water pump will be rotating in the wrong direction if the belt is installed incorrectly, causing the engine to overheat.

Attachments

• alternator.bmp
    292.3 KB · Views: 9,539
Back