operating temp

jc-mix

does anyone know what the normal temp on a cherokee should be? does anyone know if the sensor on the thermostat cover controls the electric fan?[addsig]

standard operating temperature is right around the 210 degree mark. (center) i put an aftermarket 180 degree thermostat in my jeep and it sticks right around 3/8's of the way up... just below center now. [addsig]

Keep in mind that lowering the operating temp too much will have negative effects. mainly sludge formation in the motor and loss of horsepower... the more heat you keep in the motor, the more power you will get out..combustion byproducts and low temps create the sludge...plus.. on EFI motors im pretty sure if the motor is too cold... it could run too rich since the ECM considers engine temp.

Keep the cooling system in good shape with regular maintenance.. and pay attention to the coolant/water ratio...coolant (propylene or ethylene glycol) is not a real good heat conductor...only use enough coolant for your cold weather protection needs...but never run just water...you need the anti corrosive and lubrication protection..

Dawg
image-missing.png
[addsig]

mine runs at about 190 - 200 or so. I have a 195 degree thermostat a high volume water pump and an electric fan (removed the mechanical)[addsig]

Geez, you are all lucky. My 4.0 ran at 220 degrees and my 4.9 stroker runs at near the redline for temp. But, that's normal....[addsig]

icy fridge - i'd think you should look into cooling that bad boy down a little! geez... what thermostat are you running?[addsig]

I runa 185 thrm
Ihave a 89 cherokee the relay for my electric fan is on the right side beside the air filter, beside the ceramic heat distribor. hopefully that helps
[addsig]

I run a 180 degree JET thermostat. I am currently looking into a GDI 3 core radiator to replace my ancient stock radiator.[addsig]

ah cool... it might even be worthwhile in the meantime just to yank the thermostat out altogether... but it sounds like you're on the right track... what are you gonna do for a fan?[addsig]

I like the regular fan. Electric fans seem to be an option. Right now I am running hood scoops. Thank god for those... I don't know how hot it would be without them.[addsig]

Back