5 speed hard shifting?

pinaplebob

I've got around 121,000 it's a 5 speed and the clutch is almost new....

when shifting grears especially into second it just seems like i have to exert a lot of effort to get it into grear...it sort of feels like I have to go thru two shift gates or something....it doesn't make any sick noises or anything and i have no reason to expect something is wrong I am just wondering if anyone else has noticed the same.....

thanks a lot[addsig]

If the clutch is new it may need readjusting. Also I assume the transmission fluid has been changed and is of the correct type and viscosity.[addsig]

I have a 86 CJ-7 and just turned 60K. Shifting into second takes just a little more effort that any of the other gears. Maybe it's just the nature of the beast.[addsig]

121,000 miles equals alot of shifting. I had a 89 with 145,000 and I remember a couple of the gears being tough to get into. My transmission didnt make any unnecessary noise either. I think its just old worn gears that take a little "effort" to engage. As long as you can still engage the gear I dont see the problem. I bought the jeep with 90,000 miles or so and I got almost 50,000 miles with the tough shifting. If you have the money get the transmission rebuilt and you will notice much smoother shifting. If not ... go with my favorite saying... if it aint broke dont fix it.[addsig]

Yeah...I'm just going to leave it.......I still haven't gotten the transmission fluid changed since I bought it.....

Does it really make that big of a difference?[addsig]

Back