01 Grand Cherokee - neutral safety switch/sensor questions

roooookie

Hello all, As the username says, I am a roooookie on this forum so go easy on me.
Got a quick (I hope) couple of questions.
I have a 2001 Grand Cherokee, once in a while it will not start up in the Park gear. Happens maybe 1 out of every 15-20 strats. Shifting into Neutral will allow it to fire-up no problem. Have been advised that this is probably the neutral safety switch or sensor. Here's my questions:
Is this indeed the probable problem?
Is this indeed the name of the part?
Have any of you had similar problem and what was the solution?
Could I manage to replace this part myself if this is the problem?
What is a fair price for the part?
What is a fair price for the labor to install new part, if that is the problem?
Will it get worse, happen more often, and eventually not even start in Neutral?
Any other guidance you can offer would be appreciated!!!
Thanks and thanks for all the great info on this forum!!

(Picture is NOT actual vehicle, but is close to what mine looks like!)

Attachments

• Y717GCD.jpg
    Y717GCD.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 3,424

I have a 92 cherokee that does the same thing. I dont drive mine that often so I just put it in neutral and start it.

Hello all, As the username says, I am a roooookie on this forum so go easy on me.
Got a quick (I hope) couple of questions.
I have a 2001 Grand Cherokee, once in a while it will not start up in the Park gear. Happens maybe 1 out of every 15-20 strats. Shifting into Neutral will allow it to fire-up no problem. Have been advised that this is probably the neutral safety switch or sensor. Here's my questions:
Is this indeed the probable problem? Yes it's a logical posibility.
Is this indeed the name of the part? Yes Indeed.
Have any of you had similar problem and what was the solution? No, replace it.
Could I manage to replace this part myself if this is the problem? Absolutely Yes.
What is a fair price for the part?
What is a fair price for the labor to install new part, if that is the problem?. I wouldn't be able to pay myself to do it, too expensive. Case of Beer and Jager.
Will it get worse, happen more often, and eventually not even start in Neutral?. Yup, it failed on the park switch, next would be the neutral.
Any other guidance you can offer would be appreciated!!!
Thanks and thanks for all the great info on this forum!!
I would set a day to work on it for maybe a few hours. i don't know the extent of your mechanical skills, but i know you can do this, WE HAVE FAITH IN YOU, YOU BOUGHT A JEEP. lol. BTW, The switch is around $23.00 from a dealer.
(Picture is NOT actual vehicle, but is close to what mine looks like!)

I hope this answered some of your questions.

Back