How to remove heater blower motor 98 Grand?

nftwr

I have a 98 Grand Cherokee Z 6inline 4L.

Hearing noise from my heater blower motor. Sounds like a little playing card on bicycle spokes. Could be debris or busted fin for all I know, or some imbalance.

Very hard to see under there. I'd like to know where the fasteners are to drop the housing and expose the motor. Verbally or, better, via pictures.

Many thanks, Bart

BLOWER MOTOR RESISTOR AND POWER MODULE

REMOVAL

1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
  2. Unplug the wire harness connector from the blower motor resistor or power module.
  3. Remove the screws that secure the blower motor resistor or power module to the heater-A/C housing.
  4. Remove the blower motor resistor or power module from the heater-A/C housing Blower Motor Resistor or Power Module Remove/Install
INSTALLATION

1. Install the blower motor resistor or power module to the heater-A/C housing. Tighten the mounting screws to 2.2 N·m (20 in. lbs.)
  2. Plug in the wire harness connector to the blower motor resistor or power module.
  3. Connect the battery negative cable.
The illustration is the bottom view.

Attachments

• 80148115zj blower motor.gif
    80148115zj blower motor.gif
    26.9 KB · Views: 5,664
Re: How to remove heater blower motor 96- 98 Grand?

Hi. I had this same exact problem on my 96 Grand. Finally tried this method this weekend to drop the blower motor Got the 3 bolts out and the blower dropped down partially. However there is a component in the way from the area above the fuse box that prevent the motor from dropping out.
It looks like a small black relay but I can't wiggle it loose either and don't want to cause more damage. Anyway, the blower motor won't work past this piece and I can't remove. Any thoughts? Thanks much.

Yeah, there are little squares plugged into the fuse area that need to be pulled. Here's what I did:
- remove the gray plastic panel (*containing* the little snap-out door that reveals the 5-10-20a yellow red blue fuses). It's held in w/2 screws located by the passenger door
- work and wriggle the several little squares out of their sockets. OK to use pliers to grip them
Now the motor will drop out.

BTW my motor was fine, after 10 years some debris had gotten through whatever shields are above and in the engine compartment; a pine "leaf" was acting like a playing card against the motor fins.

Great. I wasen't sure if I would fry the whole system by messing with those black pieces. They look like small relays of some sort. i'll give it another shot (if I can stand being upside down for that long again. Let you know. Thanks.

Well, then I need to also say I'm just some guy with a Jeep; no expert. I suppose best practice is to disconnect battery before pulling electrical components. Ask your shop first. I had nothing adverse happen. Just sayin'.

Back