MUX/T TOW fuse draining battery

So bringing life to a dead post here. Im having a 70mA draw on my battery. This is after i have pulled #7 fuse. Is this to much of a draw? Needing to figure out if the drain from #7 is my only problem or not.

Yes way too much of a draw. After your Body Control Module goes to sleep, you should have less than 10ma, if I recall right. If you dont understand what the BCM does or how it works, you need to learn that ..First, may I ask a couple questions ...does your jeep have the red LED type light on the dash that is supposed to flash when the alarm system is armed?

Thanks for the reply. Yes. 96 jeep GC limited. When ive tested it doors are closed but alarm off. Hood light unplugged. I know what the BCM is thats why ive pulled that fuse. Unless there is a second fuse? Is the BCM a dual system possibly?

Thanks for the reply. Yes. 96 jeep GC limited. When ive tested it doors are closed but alarm off. Hood light unplugged. I know what the BCM is thats why ive pulled that fuse. Unless there is a second fuse? Is the BCM a dual system possibly?

OK, if you answer my specific questions that will be a start. They are:

Are you able to set the alarm at all, either by key or by hitting the door lock switch on the door?

Does the light flash on top of the dash indicating it is alarmed?

With the alarm set, when you enter the drivers or passenger door, do the interior lights come right on when you turn the key in the lock?

If any of the alarm or interior light functions are not working exactly as they should, you are likely on the right path and the problem will lie either in the drivers or front passenger door lock switch on the back of the lock cylinder, or the rear hatch detector, rear window detector switch, or the 4 door open switches. (My case it was the drivers door lock cylinder switch, broken in the unlock position, making the BCM think someone was trying to legitimately enter the vehicle with a key. You can pay $40 for these or scarf them at a bone yard for almost free.
Check them with an ohm meter to make sure they work when you turn them, and don't get the left and right sides mixed up.)

If the alarm or lights aren't working as they should, what you can do is back up and read the BCM wiring diagrams and posts in this thread, there is a wiring diagram showing where each of the lock switch wires come in, lock switches, hatch, rear glass, and door switch wires. Then, at the BCM harness, (it's the smaller connector that you can unplug without taking out the BCM,) one by one, using the diagram, cut and reconnect the little copper wires for the circuits you suspect and see what effect that has on the current draw. In this way you can isolate the problem. Is what I did. When you disconnect the right one the bcm will time out after about 40 seconds and you will see the current drop to very little, about ~10ma.
Really helps to have a good adjustable flashlight to spotlight this while doing it.

There is also a small fuse by the passenger feet under the dash in the fuse block that is more specific to the interior lights.. this may or may not help you. Mine, 1997, does not have the under hood light at all but that should make little difference, just another check at the bcm harness.

Last edited:

All lights function. Alarm works. Only thing strange is i can set the alarm when the driverside door is open. And sometimes the lights dont come on when the driverside door is open. With any other doors or hatch open alarm wont set and lights work as they should. i will try what you suggested this weekend. When i have daylight to work by. Thanks again

Yeah man, from what you describing, I would be looking at the switch on the back of the drivers door lock. The dealer service guy even told me there were a lot of problems with these.

When the car is alarmed and locked, when you put the key and the driver door and turn it counterclockwise, the interior lights should all come on, even the overhead ones, and the little circle around the ignition. They then stay on until you put the key in the ignition and turn it, even if you enter the car and close the door.

All lights function. Alarm works. Only thing strange is i can set the alarm when the driverside door is open. And sometimes the lights dont come on when the driverside door is open. With any other doors or hatch open alarm wont set and lights work as they should. i will try what you suggested this weekend. When i have daylight to work by. Thanks again

Yeah if its like you say above, then is sounds like the driverside door light switch isn't opening, thats the one on the door jamb. Simple to take it out with phillips head and see or fix/ replace.

(97 JGC)
Bookmarked this thread

I just joined Jeepz because I found this thread and I had to join, And Thank everybody! who posted such great info
on this parasitic drain problem. I tried using the Voltage drop method across fuses but I could never get the meter to show it.
I had a .240ma draw and I pulled the 50amp. Yep, that was the circuit Next, I pulled fuse cb2 20a. Draw dropped down to .053ma. I then installed the cb2 and then pulled fuse 7. Bingo ! I put fuse 7 back in and waited for the BCM.
The current draw stayed at .053. Fingers crossed and running the engine to charge the Bat.

When the current draw stayed steady at .053. I can only figure out that a fuse connection problem or the BCM reset.
If that's possible? Anyway, Fingers still crossed and will monitor the Bat for a decrease in Volts. to continue investigating

Once again, Thank you Jeepz and Thread Posters for making my life easier :)

Re: MUX/T TOW fuse draining battery - solved

The same problem appeared on my 98 Grand Cherokee 4x4 4.0L 6cyl
I could trace it to the tailgate glass switch. The crimp on that switch weakened so that closing the tailgate glass would not always make the connection. I removed the switch, pressed it back together and clamped it in a vise. I then carefully crimped the aluminum skirt back down with a (light) hammer and screwdriver. After confirming the functionality with a multimeter (ohms setting and operating the switch), I reinstalled the switch, tested the functionality on the car and put all the trim back in place. The problem is gone ever since.
Hope that helps all those with this pesky issue out there
Pebeus

Hi to all
I have a 98 grand Cherokee 4x4 4.0L 6cyl.

My battery is being drained tothe point were it will not stay charged even if a disconect de terminals.
this is what i´ve done

I disconected the PCM, took out all the fuse that are in passenger side, disconected the module that is under the hand bracke, the starter also disconected,. and with a current tester I still found some current flow. SO i went to the fuse box that is next to the battery (while all of the above were disconected and no fuses)and when i took out the MUX/T TOW fuse current went to zero.

so my question is what does this fuse power?
becasue this is the second battery in 3 weeks i dont want to buy another untill i fix this
please help

thank you

its not the maxi fuse its a fuse inside the interior fuse box think its number 7 pull it out and it will remove the 50 fuse short i just rigged a relay into that fuse so when the ignition is cut off it opens that fuse and poof no more short its a lot quicker and easier than trying to figure out which door or window switch is bad keeping the bcm active draining the battery pull the fuse and your short will be gone

Hi to all
I have a 98 grand Cherokee 4x4 4.0L 6cyl.

My battery is being drained tothe point were it will not stay charged even if a disconect de terminals.
this is what i´ve done

I disconected the PCM, took out all the fuse that are in passenger side, disconected the module that is under the hand bracke, the starter also disconected,. and with a current tester I still found some current flow. SO i went to the fuse box that is next to the battery (while all of the above were disconected and no fuses)and when i took out the MUX/T TOW fuse current went to zero.

so my question is what does this fuse power?
becasue this is the second battery in 3 weeks i dont want to buy another untill i fix this
please help

thank you

WOW!!! 10 years since this post..and I still get notifications.. Have 3 kids, and I am now living in Alabama... but NO Jeep :(.
....I remember taking almost the dashboard appart looking for the issue. it turned out to be the trunk switch.

what made it difficult to find is the fact that that switch will NOT turn the dome light if open. first thing I checked.

hope this post keeps helping people

:shades:

Back